Oracle stage-errors when using Truncate and Load

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ssunda6
Participant

Oracle stage-errors when using Truncate and Load

Post by ssunda6 »

Hi,

My requirement is to truncate a table and then load data.

I tried using Write Mode=Truncate and Write Method=Load. It gave the following error and the job got aborted.
Indexes on table 'xxx' preclude direct parallel loading unless an index option is included. Add an index option or drop indexes and rerun step.

So, I added an index option with Index Mode=Rebuild , and it gave the following error:
Oracle call failed; sqlcode = -1031; message: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
ExecuteImmediate failed for: alter index <table name> rebuild parallel nologging compute statistics.
Index 'PK_xxx' on table 'xxx' has NOT been rebuilt
Index: 'PK_xxx' ; status: UNUSABLE.

This time table got truncated and rows also got inserted but the job aborted with the above error.

I am able to successfully truncate and load on another table ( which has a primary key) without using "index" option. For both the tables, im using the same UID/pwd.

Any help would be very useful.

Thanx,
ssunda.
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Oracle stage-errors when using Truncate and Load

Post by John Smith »

ssunda6 wrote:Hi,

My requirement is to truncate a table and then load data.

I tried using Write Mode=Truncate and Write Method=Load. It gave the following error and the job got aborted.
Indexes on table 'xxx' preclude direct parallel loading unless an index option is included. Add an index option or drop indexes and rerun step.

So, I added an index option with Index Mode=Rebuild , and it gave the following error:
Oracle call failed; sqlcode = -1031; message: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
ExecuteImmediate failed for: alter index <table name> rebuild parallel nologging compute statistics.
Index 'PK_xxx' on table 'xxx' has NOT been rebuilt
Index: 'PK_xxx' ; status: UNUSABLE.

This time table got truncated and rows also got inserted but the job aborted with the above error.

I am able to successfully truncate and load on another table ( which has a primary key) without using "index" option. For both the tables, im using the same UID/pwd.

Any help would be very useful.

Thanx,
ssunda.
the error ORA-01031 seems to suggest that you do not have the appropriate privileges to perform the alter index in your Oracle database.
HAve you checked your permissions ?
ssunda6
Participant

Post by ssunda6 »

Hi,

Yes John, You are right.I have checked for privileges and the user i am using is not having privilege to alter the index.

Is there any way to skip index maintanance so that I can use the same user ID?
csrazdan
Participant

Post by csrazdan »

ssunda6 wrote:Hi,

Yes John, You are right.I have checked for privileges and the user i am using is not having privilege to alter the index.

Is there any way to skip index maintanance so that I can use the same user ID?
Yes you can. Following is the procedure:

1. Add a parameter APT_ORACLE_LOAD_OPTIONS to your job.

2. Enter value for this parameter as:

Code: Select all

OPTION(SKIP_UNUSABLE_INDEXES=TRUE,SKIP_INDEX_MAINTENANCE=TRUE)
3. Execute your job.

This will make you job to load data and finish successfully, however the table will be in unusable state. You will have to re-build indexes before doing any further oprations on this table.

Hope it helps.....
Assume everything I say or do is positive
ssunda6
Participant

Post by ssunda6 »

Hi csrazdan,

Thank you for the reply.

When I did not add the parameter APT_ORACLE_LAOD_OPTIONS , by default it was taking SKIP_INDEX_MAINTENANCE=TRUE.

But the problem of rebuilding indexes again occurs and I have to do it using another userID, which I am not supposed to.

Thanx,
ssunda.
ssunda6
Participant

Post by ssunda6 »

Last edited by ssunda6 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssunda6
Participant

Post by ssunda6 »

Last edited by ssunda6 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssunda6
Participant

Post by ssunda6 »

Hi,

Providing OPTIONS(DIRECT=FALSE, PARALLEL=TRUE) value to $APT_ORACLE_LOAD_OPTIONS,
the job is working fine without throwing any errors about index.
(I have removed index option in the oracle stage)

Does the options DIRECT and PARALLEL does anything about index also. Is index rebuilt after loading or is index maintanence dropped?

Explanation on the above would be helpful.

Regards,
ssunda.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Talk to your DBA, they love to explain stuff like that. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers