Discrepancy in number of records in UNIX and DATASTAGE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nynali
Participant

Discrepancy in number of records in UNIX and DATASTAGE

Post by nynali »

HI,
I have NDMed a Mainframe file to UNIX in BINARY MODE.Then I used the same as input for DS sequential file.There are packed decimal and Signed numeric fields in the file.I used the COBOL FD to load the column definition.
I just used a sort stage after this and again wrote the output to a SEQUENTIAL file.
The job went fine and i was able to view the data in the output as well.

But in UNIX when I tried to find the number of record in the file the number of records got increased and one thing I observed is some of the records are getting split into two records.
I did some analysis and found that the last 25 bytes of the input file which was declared as CHAR(25) is playing the spoil sport.This field at times contains some junk or packed decimal data which is causing the split.So i moved spaces to last 25 bytes and then tried the job again.This time everything was fine even in UNIX.

My doubt here is are there any charecters which can cause this split.Also to note is that the split happens only for some records and not for all the records.
One more doubt is like when I NDM this file back to mainframes and view it the PACKED decimal values are not getting populated correctly.But I was able to view them properly in DS.
Please advice.

Thanks in ADVANCE...
nynali
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

try to check for any Null-values Ascii-value '000'. change them to space Ascii-value '032' or something else.
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check for UNIX newline characetrs in data, as advised in your other post.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I don't believe so. That really depends, however, on what you're using to display the data. The newline character might occur - even legitimately - in any field in the data.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.