Are Server jobs will run on PX?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

skumar
Participant

Are Server jobs will run on PX?

Post by skumar »

Hi all,

We are using currently datastage 7.1 (server edition) and we got license for the Datastage Parallel Extender edition and we are about to migrate all the jobs to the new Edition.I just wanted to confirm from the Gurus that will the same jobs run on PX or the design has to be changed?
As of my knowledge the jobs has to run logically...because i am doing only export and importing of the .dsx files.

So,can some one give me some more clear idea on the same so that it will be very helpful for us in the migration of the jobs...

Thanks in advance........

Regards,
skumar.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Enterprise Edition probably has both parallel jobs and server jobs licensed. Check. If so, then you can run server jobs as always.

The name Parallel Extender (PX) was only ever a marketing exercise and no longer exists.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You just need to make sure whoever installs it enters both the server and enterprise authorization codes. I've seen installs where they only enter the Enterprise code and this will prevent server jobs from being installed.
nick.bond
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by nick.bond »

Do you realize that your server edition jobs will continue to run on as server edition jobs and have no benefit from running on an installation that includeds Enterprise Edition?

The jobs need to be completely re-written as Enterprise Edition jobs, most likely with very different approach to solving the problem. ( You can just leave them as they are of course and build new jobs using EE.)

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but you post sounded like you may have been led to believe that you server jobs would take advantage of the parallelism of Enterprise Edition.
Regards,

Nick.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Nick's opening statement is really misleading. While it is true (in version 7.5 and earlier) to state that there is no benefit to running server jobs in a site where Enterprise Edition is installed and server jobs are licensed, there is also no downside - server jobs run as they have always done.

Incorporating server job functionality into parallel jobs is a different story, and possibly a different question. The restrictions are documented in Chapter 2 of the Parallel Job Developer's Guide - however, the performance overheads are not well described there. Essentially data need to be exported into the typeless server job environment when these components are invoked, then imported back into the strongly-typed parallel job environment afterwards. Further, because server jobs require the DataStage server, you can't run them in a multi-machine environment to make use of all the processing nodes.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nick.bond
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by nick.bond »

While it is true (in version 7.5 and earlier) to state that there is no benefit to running server jobs in a site where Enterprise Edition is installed and server jobs are licensed
That's all I said Ray, I never mentioned a downside. I didn't mean to be really misleading. :)
Regards,

Nick.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The rules change in version 8, however. Some (all?) import/export activity becomes unavoidable, due to the different platform.