Bulk Load Of Target DB2 Table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

devidotcom
Participant

Bulk Load Of Target DB2 Table

Post by devidotcom »

We have huge volume of data to be loaded to a target DB2 table approx to 11 million records daily and also have to take care of restartability if the job fails. We have only inserts to be done on the target DB2 table.

We plan to go for a bulk load option in DB2 for loading the huge volume of data.
Would like to know what could be the best option to load the DB2 table and will restartability option work if bulk load is used?

Have one more doubt...
When is bulk load option suitable and how it works?
Also how does write method if chosen would work?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

Bulk load is invoked using Write method from DB2 Enterprise stage, and is used for rapid loading of new rows to the table.

The actual load, however, is performed by the DB2 bulk loader, not by DataStage. Therefore, you will need to design in your own restart logic and the "record keeping" to support it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
devidotcom
Participant

Post by devidotcom »

Hello Ray,
I am not able to view the complete answer you mentioned.

In Write method options we have one option as 'Load' and other as 'Write' wanted to know the difference between them.

I wanted to use the Load option and would like to know the impact on the restartability logic applied in the job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

For a few cents per day you can read premium posts and contribute to the bandwidth costs of DSXchange.

You can ascertain the difference by reading the manual or on-line help or attending a training class. That will help you to make your final decision on technique.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.