Generating Next val from table lookup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Generating Next val from table lookup

Post by ag_ram »

Hello Folks

Here is a brief background of the the problem that we have . We have 2 links , an dataset input link that contain some key values and a database that stores a sequence number . The requirement is get the sequence for the first record in the dataset , and for each subsequent row from the dataset this sequence should be incremented .
The easiest way is used to use a Sparse look-up and generate subsequent sequence based on the first value , however this has a big overhead as # of records can be in millions (and in essence you will have a million hits to the DB)

What will be easiest way of doing this in DataStage
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Generating Next val from table lookup

Post by sud »

ag_ram wrote:Hello Folks

Here is a brief background of the the problem that we have . We have 2 links , an dataset input link that contain some key values and a database that stores a sequence number . The requirement is get the sequence for the first record in the dataset , and for each subsequent row from the dataset this sequence should be incremented .
The easiest way is used to use a Sparse look-up and generate subsequent sequence based on the first value , however this has a big overhead as # of records can be in millions (and in essence you will have a million hits to the DB)

What will be easiest way of doing this in DataStage
By sequence of first record in dataset you must be meaning that you are capturing the max sequence number from the database and starting generation of the remaining ones with that number. Why don't you handle finding the starting sequence number in a pre job and pass that number as a parameter to this job.
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The easiest way to do it in DataStage would be to select that starting value from the target table in a reference input to a Lookup stage, with a constant key, and using Entire partitioning to get it onto every partition.

Code: Select all

SELECT 'X' AS DUMMYKEY, MAX(KeyCol) + 1 AS NEXTVAL FROM targettable
Then add it to a generated sequence downstream of the Lookup stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.