Running a server job in datastage PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Madhu1981
Participant

Running a server job in datastage PX

Post by Madhu1981 »

Hi All,

I have a set of datastage server jobs and i have to run the same in datastage PX environment. I knew that we can use shared container for running the server job in px.

Can any one tell me the other ways for doing this which gives better performace

Thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nothing magical about the 'PX environment' - just run them. Sequence jobs can run either and there's no need to put them in a container in a PX job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In versions 7.5 and earlier, the server job runs as a server job. There is no "performance" difference if you happen to have Enterprise Edition (with server jobs licensed, of course).

Server shared containers in parallel jobs will suffer the overheads of conversion to the "typeless" (DataStage BASIC) environment and back again.

In version 8.0, running server jobs on a node of the parallel environment will incur the same performance penalties as server shared containers in parallel jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? I sense a great disturbance in the Force...

Does your last sentence mean that if someone upgrades to 8.x then all Server jobs will run with a 'performance penalty'?? Yes, no, maybe so?

What if there is no 'parallel environment' per se, a situation where someone running XE with only Server jobs licensed upgrades? Or is such a thing not possible?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The underlying architecture is that of the (new) service oriented architecture. Server jobs, as I understand matters, run in this environment (in order, for example, to use the metadata delivery service).

That said, I have not yet had a play with version 8.0. It may be that the "traditional" repository has been kept, and is kept synchronized with what's in IBM Information Server, at least as an interim measure.

Nonetheless, it is my understanding that the words I used earlier are correct.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.