Need workaround to " Job xxx being accessed by another

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jherr22
Premium Member
Premium Member

Need workaround to " Job xxx being accessed by another

Post by jherr22 »

When a team is comprised of 10 or more people,
and I need to get into one of my jobs, and someone else
is in that job, then I have to call every person to find out
who is in my job.
Worse yet: Mr X opened my job, then minimized it, then
exited DataStage, and then went on vacation for 2 weeks.
The job could not be copied or opened utill he returned.

There must be a way around this.
Please....

Client: Windows
Server: Unix

thanks
-- john herr
303-977-3955
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

Nothing much you can do about it. But for current situation,if you are having DSADMIN rigths then you can kill that process id thru administartor. It will be better at your end if you guys can seperate categories and if someone is willing to work or check that job he can copy and do that so as the master copy will be intact.
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

Highlight the job in Director and go to Job, Cleanup Resources. If Cleanup Resources in not enabled, this must be enabled in DS Administrator. It takes a while to learn how to read these records, but you can see user names and client workstation names here. This is who has the job open. I usually use the Show All radio button on the top "Processes" section. Click on a line related to the job name and then use Show By Process in the lower "Locks" section. You can use the Release All on the Locks section and Logout on the Processes sections. This will kill their connection to the job and allow someone else to open it.

If you do this, they will lose unsaved changes! Use at your own risk (which is why it can be disabled in Administrator).

John
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you upgrade to version 8.0 you will get the ability to open the locked job in read-only mode.

Apart from that, you need to identify the other user and negotiate. I would not advocate force (Cleanup Resources) as the initial approach. From the list of locks you can determine the MAC address and identity of the client machine in question, as well as the user name of the user owning the lock. If you all share the same login ID, that last is useless.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
reddy12
Participant

this is good answer.

Post by reddy12 »

this is good answer.
ds_developer wrote:Highlight the job in Director and go to Job, Cleanup Resources. If Cleanup Resources in not enabled, this must be enabled in DS Administrator. It takes a while to learn how to read these records, but you can see user names and client workstation names here. This is who has the job open. I usually use the Show All radio button on the top "Processes" section. Click on a line related to the job name and then use Show By Process in the lower "Locks" section. You can use the Release All on the Locks section and Logout on the Processes sections. This will kill their connection to the job and allow someone else to open it.

If you do this, they will lose unsaved changes! Use at your own risk (which is why it can be disabled in Administrator).

John
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

But requires proper permissions. You can only handle your own processes there - unless you are the admin, of course.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers