Migration from DS 7.5.1A Server Edition to DS 8

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

whenry6000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Migration from DS 7.5.1A Server Edition to DS 8

Post by whenry6000 »

I am currently using Ascential Datastage 7.5.1A Server edition in a Windows environment. It is our intention to upgrade to Datastage 8 parallel edition in a UNIX environment. My question is how I go about utilizing the current jobs I have, as is.
I realize that to run optimally, some jobs might have to be re-written, but I am not actually interested in optimal performance from most of the jobs. We will identify a handful of jobs where it might make the effort worthwhile, but for the most part, we will concentrate on new development under Datastage 8. However, we don't want to run two different versions, so we want to move the old Server edition jobs to DS 8 as well.
Do I have to create a Server job shared container?? Or do I just import the jobs?? Can someone give me an idea of what I need to do??
Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The 'parallel' or Enterprise Edition supports both Server and PX jobs, so no need to think you need to convert everything. Simply import the jobs.

They should run as-is with the obvious difference of anything O/S related. Anything routine or script related (etc) that assumes Windows will more than likely need to be converted to UNIX.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
whenry6000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by whenry6000 »

chulett wrote:The 'parallel' or Enterprise Edition supports both Server and PX jobs, so no need to think you need to convert everything. Simply import the jobs.

They should run as-is with the obvious difference of anything O/S related. Anything routine or script related (etc) that assumes Windows will more than likely need to be converted to UNIX.
Thank you for your response. One more question: Do I need to be licensed to access the Server job functionality in Datastage 8, or will I be running as Server jobs under the parallel functionality, if that makes any sense? When I open "Server" jobs, for example, I cannot see the Oracle Enterprise Stage, so I'm thinking we may not be licensed for it, but I'm wondering if that matters.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, but the license comes along for the ride. You won't see the Oracle Enterprise Stage when working a Server job as that is not a Server stage - it is a PX only stage. You should have the 'OCI' stages instead for Server.
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Oracle enterprise stage is not available for server jobs.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kommven
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kommven »

I strongly believe a Checklist of every other detail on Old Server will help in Migrating to New Server seamlessly.

There are some bits and pieces that we need to ensure for migration.

Few of them

Datbase(s) and their Clients configuration (TNS Name/Connections etc.,)
ODBC Entries
File locations and File structure
Environmental Parameters
Scripts
Schedules
and any other details that need to be migrated.

-K
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

Just curious:
Datastage 8 for UNIX is available?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Depends when you ask. Versions for AIX and Linux have been released, I believe we're still waiting for the other platforms.

The delay is primarily one of logistics - getting enough media created for each platform, and keeping them separate to reduce the chances of the wrong media being sent to anyone.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And the port order is typically based on usage: popular platforms get converted before less popular ones. Sucked back in the day when I was on Tru64. :wink:

Oh, and an IBM product trumps all, it seems.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Er... the Windows version beat the IBM version by three months. :roll:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Was referring to AIX being at the head of the UNIX ports. :roll:
-craig

whenry6000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by whenry6000 »

ivannavi wrote:Just curious:
Datastage 8 for UNIX is available?
I was able to download it from the trial site, so I am assuming yes! :)
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

What kind of unix do you have? Here we have HP UX. And could you give the link to this trial?
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Hi all,

We are coming up on three months now and we still do not have our Windows version of 8.0.1 working. IBM has been contacted and we are continually opening tickets. I would be very interested to hear if anyone using the Windows 8.0.1 version has it working properly. We use an 8 node box on a P1 platform.

Thanks
Jim Stewart