SMP to MPP Systems

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

scorpion
Participant

SMP to MPP Systems

Post by scorpion »

Hi All,

I am just curious to know that,

1)What will be happens, if we run the jobs on MPP systems,which are created on SMP systems.

2)My dev box is on SMP System and if I move my production server to MPP Systems,what will be happens?means does it affects our individual job behavior or decreasing performence..etc.

Thanks in advance
Thanx&Regards
scorpion
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

How jobs are run using Enterprise Edition depends upon how the configuration files are set up. Unless you configure specifically for distributed processing jobs written on a SMP box but run on another system and using the same configuration files will run just the same way.
arnabdey
Participant

Hi

Post by arnabdey »

There should not be any change in your job design. It's all upto the configuration file specified by the APT_CONFIG_FILE parameter.
Arnab
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As a general rule, there will be no impact. The only major exception is if your designs involve a lot of repartitioning, which means that rows have to move between player processes on different processing nodes. In an SMP environment this is managed through shared memory; in an MPP environment the mechanism is the necessarily slower TCP sockets. The "solution" is to create job designs that minimize the amount of repartitioning performed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.