Nullability

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Nullability

Post by dspxlearn »

Hi,

In our Oracle tables all the fields are defined as Nullable. So, in this case if i do Null handling(If Not null Then '0') and if still i define Nullablity as 'Yes' while passing to the target; will this be effecting anywhere specifically if some of these fields are passed to the aggregator for caluculations?
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

It should not be an issue until you are null-handling properly.
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

As noted, it should'nt be a problem, but your query seems vague. What exactly is your apprehension again?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Aggregator stage has a property that allows you to specify that NULL output is permitted.

If the thread is resolved, please add a post that explains what the resolution was.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

Hi ray,

I actually tested by handling the Nulls by replacing them by 0's and by defining the Nullability of the target fields both by 'Yes' and 'No'. There was no diference in the outputs/aggregation outputs.
I have set the aggregator's NULL output property - 'True' and 'False' when the target field's Nullability were defined Yes , No respectively.

Thanks for all your replies.
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
oacvb
Participant

Post by oacvb »

Hi,

Since you are converting NULL values to 0 in your query setting up the Null property at aggregator doesn't have any impact. Hence you are getting the same result.