Retrieving data from AS400 DB2 tables into DSEE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retrieving data from AS400 DB2 tables into DSEE

Post by abc123 »

I am trying to connect to an AS400 system and retrieve data from DB2 tables using the
DB2 UDB API stage. After going through the posts in this forum, I have concluded that I need to do the following. I would appreciate it if anybody could correct/help me in this regard:

1)I need DB2 Connect installed on the Datastage server.
a) What is DB2 Connect? I am assuming that they are DB2 drivers for
Datastage. I am running Datastage on a Linux box.
b) Where can I install it from?

2)I need to change my dsenv file to add the path of where the DB2 Connect is installed. Exactly what is the line that I add in the dsenv file?

3)Configure the uvodbc.config file. There should be 2 entries for Collection and Location. What should they look like?

4)Catalog TCP/IP node? What is "Cataloging TCP/IP node"? How do I do it?

5)Catalog remote database? What is "Cataloging remote database"? How do I do it?

6)Catalog DCS database? What is "Cataloging DCS database"? How do I do it?

7)"Bind packages". What is "binding a package"? What package are we talking about?

8)Add an entry to the .odbc.ini file? What is the entry going to be? Do I add an entry for a specific project?

Thanks to anyone who responds.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DB2 Connect is DB2 client software, not part of DataStage.

The line in dsenv will depend on where you have installed DB2 Connect; essentially you need its bin directory in your PATH and its lib32 directory in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH (though after $APT_ORCHHOME/lib).

Questions 4 through 7 relate to setting up the DB2 client. Ask your DBA.

.odbc.ini is only relevant if you are going to use ODBC as your protocol.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.