Need to know how to clean up datasets (whose header is gone)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jherr22
Premium Member
Premium Member

Need to know how to clean up datasets (whose header is gone)

Post by jherr22 »

Given a dataset file (xxxxx.ds), which is a pointer to the actual data stored in a Datasets directory.
If we have deleted the header file (xxxxx.ds), without using the utility 'orchadmin delete' command, then we end up with orphaned dataset file in the Datasets directory.
I understand that there exists scripts that know how to clean up such unreferenced orphaned files.
Right???
-- john herr (denver)
303-977-3955
santoshg
Participant

Re: Need to know how to clean up datasets (whose header is g

Post by santoshg »

jherr22 wrote:Given a dataset file (xxxxx.ds), which is a pointer to the actual data stored in a Datasets directory.
If we have deleted the header file (xxxxx.ds), without using the utility 'orchadmin delete' command, then we end up with orphaned dataset file in the Datasets directory.
I understand that there exists scripts that know how to clean up such unreferenced orphaned files.
Right???
-- john herr (denver)
303-977-3955
Jon,
The best way to clean up the datasets is from Datstage manager using dataset mangement utilty.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ArndW posted a method to get rid of these orphaned datasets by analyzing their magic number. He has posted commands to do so. Search for it.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Search the disks where Data Sets are stored. Each Data Set file name includes the name of its control file. Filter on these.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.