Job Warnings Turn OFF @ Project level

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijayrc
Participant

Job Warnings Turn OFF @ Project level

Post by vijayrc »

Hi,
We have an Issue in our Production, wherein it writes out millions of warnings [which we haven't figured it out, yet though], but to keep it going, Is there a way to turn OFF warning messages being written out of any job [@ project level] and get this going to get us some statistics.
Sorry our admin is out today, and search hasn't got any conclusive answer yet.
So any thoughts on this is appreciated.
Thanks,
Vijay
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Warnings are there for a reason. They either indicate something bad has occurred, or something about which you need to be alerted has occurred.

Eschew the approach of disabling warnings.

Design your jobs so that they do not generate warnings in the first place.

Then any warning that does appear is important, and should be investigated.

You can, of course, cause your job to abort once a certain number of warnings has been generated. But it is vital that you investigate warnings in a production environment, not suppress them.

The whole point of a Data Warehouse is to provide good data to management. Do you think the data are likely to be good if the ETL tool has generated "millions of warnings"?!!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Madhusv
Participant

Post by Madhusv »

One option is to use Message Handler and "Demote to Informational".

Go to Director->Tools->Message Handler Management to do the same.

Thanks,
Madhu
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think you can use the message handler to not only demote a warning to information but to suppress the message altogether. As Ray says this is a high risk approach. Each warning message may be telling you of a row of data being dropped from your job or an insert statement that hasn't work. You want to be running your production jobs with no warnings via a combination of good design and the message handler but warnings should only be demoted after they have been fully evaluated and reviewed in a testing environment.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

vmcburney wrote:I think you can use the message handler to not only demote a warning to information but to suppress the message altogether. As Ray says this is a high risk approach. Each warning message may be telling you of a row of data being dropped from your job or an insert statement that hasn't work. You want to be running your production jobs with no warnings via a combination of good design and the message handler but warnings should only be demoted after they have been fully evaluated and reviewed in a testing environment.
Thanks Ray and Vincent. My thinking is in the same line. But until we fix the warning, we don't want to run these huge files with warnings. We had this scenario in our Production Parallel test in that ONe particular job that spits out numerous warnings was running for ever. So to overcome this problem temporarily, i was looking to turning off the warnings. But looks like that logs are created by Job Name and for this particular job which has been writing numerous warnings, it has reached a threshold size or something, that it was running for hours togethers, instead of few minutes. So I renamed the job and ran, it just ran in minutes. Thanks anyways. :lol:

Another question. How do I go about purging all the logs of all the jobs for older runs. This would solve my problem. But I am having hardtime finding this info in the manual. Any directions on where the logs for each job is being written out separately would be highly appreciated. :idea:

Thanks in advance
Vijay
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look in the Director manual or the on-line help while in Director. Choose Clear Log from Director's Job menu. Choose Immediate purge.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

ray.wurlod wrote:Look in the Director manual or the on-line help while in Director. Choose Clear Log from Director's Job menu. Choose Immediate purge. ...
Ray, Question on doing an Immediate Purge in the Director?
[1] Does this only does a Purge from Director's Perspective, in not showing any previous logs for that job OR
[2] It also purges permanently all the logs created by the job for the past few run from the internal tables/datasets in DataStage ??
Thanks,
Vijay
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

[2]
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

ray.wurlod wrote:[2] ...
[2] Too good..Thanks

Resolving this topic