Multi Client Manager for switching clients DS 7.5 & 8 ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

Multi Client Manager for switching clients DS 7.5 & 8 ?

Post by pxr87 »

1. Are there any Multi Client Manager exist to switch the client between DS parallel 7.5.2 to 8 (Hawk version)?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I think your better off posing that question to support. Not very many people have 8.0 as of yet. On top of that, using Multi Client Manager.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In my mind, the question would be - does a version of the MCM ship with the 8.x client? You won't be able to use the 'old' one but if the capability still exists with 8, then it would ship with the 8 product.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by seanc217 »

The answer is yes. And I have used it to switch between 7.5x2 and version 8.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Great. We have a confirmation. Thanks seanc217.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pxr87 »

[quote="seanc217"]The answer is yes. And I have used it to switch between 7.5x2 and version 8.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Are there any issues or constraints with the usage of Multi Client Manager with packages like 7.5 version control client etc.
If I use datastage parallel 8.0 , I will be using only for new development and the entire existing application will be running in current 7.5 server edition and I also will be using 7.5 Version control also. Are these clients compatible in windows OS ?.
I heard that with datastage Version 8.0, there is no datastage Version control package support . Atleast DS 8.0 client is compatible for 7.5 datastage version control client ?.
Any way I will ask IBM, but I dont have complete confidence in their reply , unless some body tried it out and says OK. Please suggest.

background :
I had a very bad experience with Multi Client Manager older version.

I used to have hell lot of problems with Multi Client Manager switching between Datastage server editions 5.2 and 7.5. Datastage said I can use use multi client manager to switch between 7.5 and 5.2 , but when I started using that it is not compatible with Datastage Version Control , which we use heavily for production cotrol.
seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by seanc217 »

I'm not sure how version control will be affected. I have not used version control because we planned to go to version 8 from the very beginning so we did not use it. Sorry I can't be of help here.
pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pxr87 »

[quote="seanc217"]I'm not sure how version control will be affected. I have not used version control because we planned to go to version 8 from the very beginning so we did not use it. Sorry I can't be of help here.[/quote]

thank you seanc217 and I appreciate your help.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It doesn't switch Version Control. If you are planning on using a new version of VC then you need to install it while 'switched' to the new client and only use it under the same circumstances - new client only, new projects only. If you want to stick with your older version of VC, don't install the new one and only use it when switched to the old version on your old projects.

In other words, one or the other can be supported - but not both.

Since there's no such thing (never mind the fact that the repository is completely replatformed) under 8.x, don't expect to use Version Control on anything other than your 'old' projects while switched back to your 'old' client.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no Version Control for version 8.0.

Some time in the future (8.2 has been postulated) there will be an interface to a source code control system - probably ClearCase initially since IBM own that.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pxr87 »

chulett wrote:It doesn't switch Version Control. If you are planning on using a new version of VC then you need to install it while 'switched' to the new client and only use it under the same circumstances - new client only, new projects only. If you want to stick with your older version of VC, don't install the new one and only use it when switched to the old version on your old projects.

In other words, one or the other can be supported - but not both.
Now I think I understand better . so Clients are not switchable .
I am aware that VC is not supported in 8.X. I only used Version control word to quote a example for incompatibilities saying VC and Multi Client MAnager is not compatible.
chulett wrote: Since there's no such thing (never mind the fact that the repository is completely replatformed) under 8.x, don't expect to use Version Control on anything other than your 'old' projects while switched back to your 'old' client.
Does the hash files DS_JOBS , DS_JOBOBJECTS which are in project directory is supported and loaded in DS 8.X , as is done in 7.5 ( both server and PX editions ) ?.
Last edited by pxr87 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

pxr87 wrote: Does the hash files DS_JOBS , DS_JOBOBJECTS which are in project directory is supported and loaded in DS 8.X , as is done in 7.5 ( both server and PX editions ) ?.
Not in hashed files any more. What is your underlaying repository database.
pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pxr87 »

DSguru2B wrote:
pxr87 wrote: Does the hash files DS_JOBS , DS_JOBOBJECTS which are in project directory is supported and loaded in DS 8.X , as is done in 7.5 ( both server and PX editions ) ?.
Not in hashed files any more. What is your underlaying repository database.
I think repository is in UV , as we Currently we are using 7.5 server and we have some custom application which uses these hash files for some information. we are in the process of converting a piece of application to PX and we are debating whether to use PX 7.5 or PX 8 ?. So I am cross checking the impact to our custom application if we use PX 8.0.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

pxr87 wrote: Now I think I understand better . so Clients are not switchable .
That is not what I said. :?
-craig

pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pxr87 »

chulett wrote:
pxr87 wrote: Now I think I understand better . so Clients are not switchable .
That is not what I said. :?
I agree, I wrote it in a hurry as 'Not switchable'