Date conversation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srini.dw
Premium Member
Premium Member

Date conversation

Post by srini.dw »

Hi,

I am having a paramter as 2007-01-01, when i run the job i need the following logic to be implemented

1 . select TO_DATE ('12/01/'||TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'YYYY')) -1),'MM/DD/YYYY')
from dual;

i.,e it should give me 01-DEC-06 as a result. (12/01 is a hardcode values)

2. select TO_DATE(TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'MM'))-1)||'/01/'||TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'YYYY'),'MM
/DD/YYYY') from dual;

i.,e it should give me 01-FEB-07 (previous month first date)

Thanks,
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Have you tried doing it yourself? What have you tried so far? It can be done easily using out of the box functions.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Where do you need this? In a stage variable? In a query? In a filename?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Another question, You query just includes current date. Whats the purpose of the parameter (2007-01-01) that you mentioned in your query?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

I thought this was a post on how to score with chicks.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

....more like how do keep chicks interested. :wink:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I am still not able to understand whats the use of the parameter if your not using it for your transformations. Anywho, the following should work
For #1:

Code: Select all

StringToDate(DecimalToString(YearFromDate(CurrentDate())-1):"-12-01", "%dd-%MMM-%yy")
and for #2:

If MonthFromDate(CurrentDate()) = 1 then StringToDate(DecimalToString(YearFromDate(CurrentDate())-1):"-12-01", "%dd-%MMM-%yy") else StringToDate(DecimalToString(YearFromDate(CurrentDate()):"-":DecimalToString(MonthFromDate(CurrentDate()) - 1):"-01", "%dd-%MMM-%yy")
For the second query you have to check if present month is January, you will take the year, subtract 1 and then concatenate it with "-12-01".

NOTE: Use the above query in the initial values of stage variables. This way it will only be executed once.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I thought it was talking about those fruits that originate in the Middle East.
:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Why not the same given query in a Database stage.

select TO_DATE ('12/01/'||TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'YYYY')) -1),'MM/DD/YYYY')
from dual;

select TO_DATE(TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'MM'))-1)||'/01/'||TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'YYYY'),'MM
/DD/YYYY') from dual; 
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

trobinson wrote:I thought this was a post on how to score with chicks.
Our site is not, that helpful. :?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Date conversation

Post by DSguru2B »

srini.dw wrote:2. select TO_DATE(TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'MM'))-1)||'/01/'||TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'YYYY'),'MM
/DD/YYYY') from dual;
This query will break every time its run in January.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

As suggested by DSguru2B, check for month 01 or 12, and subtract the year by 1. You can either use Decode() or Case() in SQL or If then Else in Tranformer.
srini.dw
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srini.dw »

Hi,

Thanks for the below derviations.
Code:
StringToDate(DecimalToString(YearFromDate(CurrentDate())-1):"-12-01", "%dd-%MM-%yyyy")

Code:
If MonthFromDate(CurrentDate()) = 1 then StringToDate(DecimalToString(YearFromDate(CurrentDate())-1):"-12-01", "%dd-%MMM-%yy") else StringToDate(DecimalToString(YearFromDate(CurrentDate()):"-":DecimalToString(MonthFromDate(CurrentDate()) - 1):"-01", "%dd-%mm-%yyyy")

But when i execute the above codes in transformer its giving me ******

So wat iam doing is i have 4 stage variables i.,e MM, YY, MMminusOne, YYminusOne (all integer type)

When i execute the below one its works (datatype date)
StringToDate(svYYminusOne:"-":"01-":"01")

but when i try to execute (datatype date) StringToDate(svYYminusOne:"-":DecimalToString(svMM):"01") its still giving ******

MM is MonthFromDate(currentdate()
YY is YearFromDate(currentdate()

Can anyone plz let me know why..

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

The format was messed up. Use the following:
For #1

StringToDate(DecimalToString(YearFromDate(CurrentDate())-1):"-12-01", "%yyyy-%mm-%dd") 
For #2

If MonthFromDate(CurrentDate()) = 1 then StringToDate(YearFromDate(CurrentDate())-1:"-12-01", "%yyyy-%mm-%dd") else if Len(MonthFromDate(CurrentDate())-1) = 1 then StringToDate(YearFromDate(CurrentDate()):"-0":MonthFromDate(CurrentDate()) - 1:"-01", "%yyyy-%mm-%dd") else StringToDate(YearFromDate(CurrentDate()):"-":MonthFromDate(CurrentDate()) - 1:"-01", "%yyyy-%mm-%dd")
The date format was giving issues and hence you were seeing all stars. I fixed the format. You will get date in YYYY-MM-DD format. If you want it in any other format, do the above in a stage variable and pass that variable to DateToString(<<stgvar>>, "your format")
Another problem was cause by MonthFromDate(). It was returning a single digit month where as two digit month (%mm) is required. And hence I added another check.
srini.dw
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srini.dw »

Hi,

Thanks for the code, 2nd one works fine, but 1st one still giving **** in the output, (datatype date)

Thanks,