server to parallel migration

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suresh_dsx
Participant

server to parallel migration

Post by suresh_dsx »

we already created 300+ jobs in the server.
Our data base is oracle,
we need to migrate all the server jobs into parallel.
i need to these things.
1. we need to install any things in the parallel.
2.any thing i need to configure the parallel.
3. i know thier is a lot of design change in the parallel.
Please send some information on migration.
Thanks
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You cannot directly do a migration from Server jobs to parallel job. The job that you trying to migrate will reside in the latest server as Server job only.
What is the version that approaching. If you want to convert the server jobs into parallel jobs, you need to re design the jobs. The effort depends up on transformation logic involved. (Assuming the PX installation is already completed)
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: server to parallel migration

Post by chulett »

suresh_dsx wrote:we already created 300+ jobs in the server.
Our data base is oracle,
we need to migrate all the server jobs into parallel.
No, you don't. There's no reason, just because you may have just upgraded to EE that now suddenly you 'need' to convert all of your Server jobs to Parallel jobs.

EE supports both job types. Start creating new PX jobs. Migrate those Server jobs that would benefit from the migration. Note that many Server jobs may translate into one PX job. But don't think everything you've got needs to be migrated. :?

If you're new to PX and have yet to even 'configure the parallel' then you've got bigger fish to fry right now that jumping on a migration.

PS. Did you notice on the Homepage the Server to Parallel Migration class being offered? You should seriously consider attending. Or arranging for one to happen for your company or area. Seriously.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The next class begins March 26, 2007.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.