How to handle "Long" data type defined at Oracle s

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

san_deep
Participant

Post by san_deep »

Hi All,

I am having a column defined as "long" datatype at the Oracle source level.
I am using Oracle Enterprise Stage and not being able able to import the Metadata through Orchestrate.
Even while i am changing the data type to Longvarchar and using function To_Char at the Oracle Stage i am getting the same error.

Couldn't getting how to resolve this one.
thanks in advance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I doubt it is supported. Check the pdf documentation for the stage. The OCI stage on the Server side - for example - lists in the 'functionality not supported' section:
Support of Oracle data types such as BLOB, FILE, LOB, LONG, LONG RAW, MSLABEL, OBJECT, RAW, REF, ROWID or a named data type.
So it supports CLOB and that's about it. LONG fields are a PITA just in Oracle, not sure why you'd think you would have any better luck in an ETL tool. However, maybe someone knows a 'trick'... :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
san_deep
Participant

Post by san_deep »

Hi Chulett,

thanks for the info.
please tell me way to find the solution.

Or Can i revert back to my superior that its not going to work with DS PX.

Hope to find some answer which i can tell me to my boss. :cry:

thanks in advance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: How to handle "Long" data type defined at Orac

Post by chulett »

san_deep wrote:please tell me way to find the solution.
Call Support.

Are you thinking you will be doing any 'transformations' of the LONG data? If all you are doing is moving this data from one instance to another, that certainly doesn't need to be a DataStage task. As others here have said, just because DataStage is a really cool hammer, that doesn't make every problem a nail.

Talk to your DBA. They should have more appropriate suggestions on how to handle your LONG data.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
san_deep
Participant

Post by san_deep »

Thanks a lot Chulett.

I think its better to first analyze at the buisness level if we need that column or not,if still it is needed i will try to short out with my DBA here.

Thanks a lot for the info as i was not sure about handling the long data type in PX,now i will look for other way.