Job Abort After 50 warnings

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sudharma
Participant

Job Abort After 50 warnings

Post by sudharma »

Hi Everyone,

I have a job which gets aborted after 50 warnings. the warnings limit is set to unlimited. but still this job aborts sometimes and sometimes it runs just fine. Can there be any other reason for such thing to happen.

thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's set to 50 if you run from Designer.

Go to Director, open Options from the Tools menu to set a different limit.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sudharma
Participant

Post by sudharma »

hi Ray,

i did that too, i have set the warning limits to NO LIMITS in the director also. but still i have this problem.

thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, it defaults to 50 when run from the Director - and unlimited when run from Designer regardless of your Director limit.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sudharma
Participant

Post by sudharma »

Hi chulett

then why do i have this option in the director so that i am able to set the warning limit to NO LIMIT in the director.

sometimes my job just runs fine with more than 50 warnings when i run from the director. sometimes it gets aborted when it sees 50 warnings.

can you please explain me . i am strcuk here
thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I can't. We're missing some critical information here. It won't abort after 50 if you run it unlimited. Is this perhaps a Sequence job you are talking about or are you running a 'stand alone' job directly? :?
-craig

sudharma
Participant

Post by sudharma »

this is a sequence job i am taking about
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If sequence job limit is set to 50, the sequence job will abort at 50 warnings.
If the child job's limit is set to 50, then the child job will abort at the 50th warning.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, according to the docs, any child job is supposed to inherit the warning limit of the job that calls it. Which means it all goes back to the limit on the 'main' top level Sequence.

If that's not happening, report it to your Support provider as a bug and let us know the outcome.
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

chulett wrote:Actually, according to the docs, any child job is supposed to inherit the warning limit of the job that calls it. Which means it all goes back to the limit on the 'main' top level Sequence.
That is true. But just because the child encountered 50 warnings, the main sequence wont have 50 warnings. That was my point.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
sudharma
Participant

Post by sudharma »

Hi Craig,

I had to add a job paramter DSJ_LIMITWARN and give a default value of (0) Zero. so that 0 sets the warning limits to NO LIMIT.

this was recommended by IBM support. I will let you know the outcome when i encounter this problem again. because my jobs gets aborted only sometimes.

thank you all

sudharma
sudharma
Participant

Post by sudharma »

Hi guru,

i got this warning issue resolved. i have a execute command stage at the end in my main sequence. this says

/apps/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin/dsjob -run -mode NORMAL -warn 0 jobname&

i had to specify this -warn 0 and set the DSSetJobLimit and DSJ_LIMITWARN Parameters value to Zero so that the sequence picks the warn limits to NO LIMIT when ever it runs ( that is when it runs for any number of time ).

thanks a lot for all your hints.

thank you
sudharma
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Remember way back up there when I said we were missing a critical piece of information? Well, here it is:
sudharma wrote:i got this warning issue resolved. i have a execute command stage at the end in my main sequence. this says

/apps/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin/dsjob -run -mode NORMAL -warn 0 jobname&
Since you didn't use a Job Activity stage, the rules for warning limit inheritance could not be enforced - except manually.
-craig

sudharma
Participant

Post by sudharma »

Craig,

you were right . it took me some time to figure this. thanks a lot for your hints. they were so helpful to me to narrow my debugging process.

thanks
sudharma