Compatibility between V7.5.1a and V7.1r2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

benny.lbs
Participant

Compatibility between V7.5.1a and V7.1r2

Post by benny.lbs »

I am using both DS V7.5.1a and V7.1r2 for development/support on different projects. However, they are not compatible on the DS client.

I have tried to install these two client version into different folder (install V7.1r2 first, and then V7.5.1a), but it only work for V7.5.1a. When try to connect to V7.1 server, incompatible message was prompted.

It is too inconvenient to swap the PC for different sever. Does anyone know if it is possible to setup both client version in the same PC for accessing corresponding servers.

Thanks in advance !
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Of course! You need to locate and install the Multi Client Manager - or MCM - it should be on the 7.5.1A cdrom. That will allow you to switch between the two clients as only one can be active at any given time.

And as you've found, without it only the last version installed works. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
benny.lbs
Participant

Post by benny.lbs »

Thanks for your advice. I have located the Multi Client Manager in 7.5.1A cdrom\DataStage Client\MultiClientManager\ and try to install it.

When install, it prompt me to select language "English/Japanse", after select "English", click "OK". Then it only show "99%" and then "100%" and disappear. After that, I try to connect to V7.1, but failed.

How to install the MCM ?
chulett wrote:Of course! You need to locate and install the Multi Client Manager - or MCM - it should be on the 7.5.1A cdrom. That will allow you to switch between the two clients as only one can be active at any given time.

And as you've found, without it only the last version installed works. :wink:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It sounds like you've installed it correctly, now you have to actually use it to effect a switch. Run the MCM and you'll see - it will show you your current clients, which is in effect and ask which you'd like to switch to. From what I recall, anyway.

You'll need to run it each time you want to switch back and forth.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

As noted, now you should be able to find the MCM icon available under you Datastage folder under start menu.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
benny.lbs
Participant

Post by benny.lbs »

Seems the installation is not successful. I can't find any icon on the desktop or start menu. The MCM can only be found in C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage Multi-Client Manager\, and when I click "MultiClientManager.exe", it prompt "Unable to open a connection to the DataStage Multi-Client Manager Service. Please ensure the service is installed and started."

I know the message is self-explanatory, but why the service can't be installed ?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Sometimes the services might not be started. Check if you could able to find the services available in "Services". If not, its as you said, it might be unsuccessful installation.
Hope you dont have version control in your client. It has versioning problem.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
benny.lbs
Participant

Post by benny.lbs »

What 's the services name ?

I haven't installed version control.

kumar_s wrote:Sometimes the services might not be started. Check if you could able to find the services available in "Services". If not, its as you said, it might be unsuccessful installation.
Hope you dont have version control in your client. It has versioning problem.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Contorl panel -- >Administrative Tools--> Services.
Check if you could find any services running there related to Datastage. If its stopped, you can start it and retry.
benny.lbs
Participant

Post by benny.lbs »

No services related to DataStage can be found. What should I do ?
kumar_s wrote:Contorl panel -- >Administrative Tools--> Services.
Check if you could find any services running there related to Datastage. If its stopped, you can start it and retry. ...
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hope the user id pwd, that you have provided during installation of MCM has full admin access over the client machine.
benny.lbs
Participant

Post by benny.lbs »

Code: Select all

Before you begin

You must have administrator access to the system to complete this task. 
At least one WebSphere DataStage and WebSphere QualityStage client must be installed on the computer where you install the Multi-Client Manager. 

WebSphere QualityStage also need to be installed ?

I have try to install the service manually with file "ClientSwitcherService.exe", but the service can not be started with error "Error 1053: Ther service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, it's enough to have two DataStage clients installed. However, they must be installed in different locations on the client machines, and differentiable in program groups.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
benny.lbs
Participant

Post by benny.lbs »

I use the local administrator profile to install the MCM, but the service still can not be installed automatically. Puzzle !