Server License Upgrade

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Server License Upgrade

Post by info_ds »

Hi All,

we have installed Datastage server with serial id as 12324 .Now we wanted to upgrade the Server serial id to 34567.Is it possible to upgrade the serial ID also ?

I have read the Datastage help and it says it is not possibel.

If it is possible can anyone tell me how to do it?

Thanks in advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you are at version 7.5 you should be able to change all the licensing information from the Administrator.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Where did you read it's not possible? Older version required a 're-install' to do that, but recent ones allow it via the Administrator.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by info_ds »

Hi,

Thanks for your response.I am using Datastage 7.5.2.

When i Clicked "Change" in License details the license window pops up,but the serial id textbox is disabled.I could not change the serial ID.I checked the help and it says SERIAL# This is fixed and cannot be changed.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by info_ds on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You might also do this from UNIX level. Ensure your "dsenv" is set and that your current working directory is $DSHOME, then issue a

Code: Select all

bin/uvregen {Authorization} -s {SerialNumber} -l {UserLimit} -d {ExpiryDate}
info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by info_ds »

Hi,

Thanks for your response .Do I need to take any precautions before doing that?

Please advise me .
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Always have a complete backup before trying anything that might compromise the installation.

I would do a complete backup of all the projects. That way, if this doesn't work you can do a complete re-install with the new license key. When you reinstall you can specify the project paths to the existing locations and DS will pick that up and not clear out your projects; but it is always a good idea to have a recent successful backup.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's also my understanding that the serial number can not be changed in version 7.5 without uninstalling and reinstalling. Therefore export all your projects first!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

My response was based on a faulty recollection of having done that just recently. :oops:

I had to relicense an expired server and thought I had changed serial numbers in the process. Now that I recollect, it wasn't a serial number issue like we thought it was at first but actually just a need to replace the 'trial' auth code with the 'real' auth code. All of which was easily accomplised via the Administrator even though none of the other tools would connect.

You probably don't need to actually uninstall first, do you? Wouldn't a server 'reinstall' of everything allow you to input a different serial number? That way no projects would need to be nuked. Of course, I'd still do all the backups and exports...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

On a Windows platform it's an uninstall, to clear the serial number (and a lot of other stuff) out of the Registry. The "Microsoft solution"! And you should, you will be surprised to hear, re-boot after uninstalling.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.