What is a Sparse Lookup in DataStage EE?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sami
Participant

What is a Sparse Lookup in DataStage EE?

Post by sami »

What is a Sparse Lookup? Why and when can we use it?

sudharma
Participant

Post by sudharma »

Hi Sami,

this is what i have found in help. hope this can hint you

Lookup Type. Where the DB2 stage is connected to a Lookup stage via a reference link, this property specifies whether the DB2 stage will provide data for an in-memory look up (Lookup Type = Normal) or whether the lookup will access the database directly (Lookup Type = Sparse). If the Lookup Type is Normal, the Lookup stage can have multiple reference links. If the Lookup Type is Sparse, the Lookup stage can only have one reference link.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

As for the why and when, refer here.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
novneet
Participant

More to explain

Post by novneet »

Sparse lookup is like firing one-by-one query on the DB table to fetcht the result.
The select fields include all the fields that we are fetching from the lookup table and where field and value include the metching field and the value for the metching input fields.
I hope this clerifies the issue.
Regards,
Novneet Jain
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

The post that I embeded has comments from our very best, Ray and Vincent. Adhere to their warning on when to use it, else there will be bottlenecks :!:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
pavan007
Participant

Sparse Lookup in DataStage EE?

Post by pavan007 »

When you have large amount of data comming from source its better to use normal lookup and if you are having incremental comming better go for sparse so that the performance will be good and when you use sparse look up use ORCHESTRATE.Key_field_name= Key_field_name. in where condition.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

As recommended in document, go for sparse in 1:100 ratio. That is if you have input records 100 times less that the lookup data. In other way, very large data to be loaded into physical memory where as fewer times of hits are required to the lookup table.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

Due to some reason, I could not locate the option to change the Normal lookup into Sparse. :?
Could you pls help me on locating it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Where (in which stage type) did you look?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vick
Participant

Post by vick »

if you open the Oracle_Enterprise stage you can find it in "Look Up Type" drop-down.

The "Look Up Type" dro-down has 2 options "NORMAL" & "SPARSE"

HTH

vick
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I doubt that the OP is using an Oracle Enterprise stage, as DB2 was specifically mentioned.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Even the DB2 has the same option to convert to 'SPARSE'.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
novneet
Participant

way it is possible

Post by novneet »

The only way a the sparse lookup can be performed is that you connect the DB2 stage dirctly to the lookup(without any other stage in between DB2 and lookup).
Last edited by novneet on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Novneet Jain
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What if someone other than u wants to perform a sparse lookup? :?
novneet
Participant

Post by novneet »

I didn't got the exact meaning? Can you be more precise and descriptive!
Regards,
Novneet Jain