parallel job on one node

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hne
Participant

parallel job on one node

Post by hne »

I have two configurations:

node1:

{
node "node1"
{
fastname "tnet368"
pools ""
resource disk "/prop/loc/tnbilfor/dtstnbilfor/work/node01/disk00/" {pools ""}
resource scratchdisk "/prop/loc/tnbilfor/dtstnbilfor/work/node01/scratch00/" {pools ""}
}

}

node2:

{
node "node2"
{
fastname "tnet368"
pools ""
resource disk "/prop/loc/tnbilfor/dtstnbilfor/work/node02/disk00/" {pools ""}
resource scratchdisk "/prop/loc/tnbilfor/dtstnbilfor/work/node02/scratch00/" {pools ""}
}

}

If I run a parallel job with the first configuration, it runs fine. if I run the same job with the seconde configuration, it aborts with:

descriptions: Error when checking operator: Node name "node1" not in config file

If I reset the job and run it again with the second, it runs fine. If I run then with the first, it aborts.

It seems that the engine remembers the last configuration and excepts that the same node is available.

Can anybody help?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I couldn't reproduce that here. Which "operator" is giving the error?
samythiru
Participant

Re: parallel job on one node

Post by samythiru »

hne wrote:I have two configurations:

node1:

{
node "node1"
{
fastname "tnet368"
pools ""
resource disk "/prop/loc/tnbilfor/dtstnbilfor/work/node01/disk00/" {pools ""}
resource scratchdisk "/prop/loc/tnbilfor/dtstnbilfor/work/node01/scratch00/" {pools ""}
}

}

node2:

{
node "node2"
{
fastname "tnet368"
pools ""
resource disk "/prop/loc/tnbilfor/dtstnbilfor/work/node02/disk00/" {pools ""}
resource scratchdisk "/prop/loc/tnbilfor/dtstnbilfor/work/node02/scratch00/" {pools ""}
}

}

If I run a parallel job with the first configuration, it runs fine. if I run the same job with the seconde configuration, it aborts with:

descriptions: Error when checking operator: Node name "node1" not in config file

If I reset the job and run it again with the second, it runs fine. If I run then with the first, it aborts.

It seems that the engine remembers the last configuration and excepts that the same node is available.

Can anybody help?
Hi ,

Since configuration is related to server . You need to restart the server for the configuartion file to get updated.

Regards
Thiru
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

samythiru - no, there is no need to restart the DataStage engine when using different PX configuration files.

p.s. No need to quote messages, either. :?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is your job design using Data Set or File Set stage(s)? These are, in some sense, tied to the configuration file that was used when they were created. In particular, the resource disk that specifies the location of their data files must be accessible in whatever configuration is used subsequent to their creation to access them. This is not the case between your configuration files.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aakashahuja
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by aakashahuja »

This will happen if your job has a dataset or a file set stage and

1. You have used the 'overwrite' option.
2. The data set or file set already exists.

So basically then PX tries to find the part file (cant remember the correct term for the data file on a particular partiiton) to delete, it will not be able to find it since a node name has changed. Then it throws the error.

Cheers
Aakash
L'arrêt essayant d'être parfait… évoluons.