Server shared container on MPP

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsdoubt
Participant

Server shared container on MPP

Post by dsdoubt »

Hi,
May I know why not to use Server shared container on MPP environment. Won't Datastage have a common repository accross all the CPUs?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would assume because they just don't work. :P From the docs:
You can only use Server Shared Containers in this way on SMP systems (not MPP or cluster systems).
Others may know the gory details of the 'why'. [shrug] Or ask IBM.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I think, the reason lies in the very architecture of the two systems and the nature of a shared container. SMP uses a single shared memory irrespective of how many cpus are connected to it. The result of the shared container resides in the shared memory and whatever cpu requires the shared contrainer, requests for it.
Where as MPP's are, briefly, many computers hooked up for a massive single unit. It might not be able to work in the same way as the shared container was originally designed to work in and hence the limitation.

I might be wrong, but need someone to confirm it.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

But in one of a previous post, Michael has posted that its working in MPP as well.
Just curious to know, will datastage store its repository in each CPU or a common repository will be maintained.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Can you post the link to Micheal's post?
The manual says pretty clearly that it wont work, or atleast not supported. I wouldnt go for something that might break some day.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

Here it is. Though he haven't given any strong asertion about that, it seems it working.
viewtopic.php?t=85355&highlight=mpp+shared+container

Even you can find Ray is pointing to his post in this.
viewtopic.php?t=85353&highlight=mpp+shared+container
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Go for it then. As I said before, I wouldnt go for something thats a trial, or might break someday. If it does, you cannot even go back to IBM, as they will point out to the same line that Craig quoted, that it is not supported.
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

I am not going to run it anyways, I just want to know why its recomended in such way. And like to know the architecture of Datastage on MPP.