same source and target Oracle table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vinaymanchinila »

Hi,
I need to desing a job which reads from Oracle source table and loads the same Oracle table with some transformations done on some columns, can we do that or will be locked or go into a cycle mode.

For example:

Source: Table A

Col1 , col2, code
st1, 10, a
st2, 20, a
st3, 40, a

Target: Table A (Append)

Col1 , col2, code
st1, 10, b
st2, 20, b
st3, 40, b

I need to do some transforamtions on couple of columns and insert new rows, the key columns would be col1 and col3. I would be replacing col3 to 'b'.

I know this can be done in many ways, can I do it like read, have a transformer to do transformations and load the target?

Thanks,
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Oracle has row level locking so you should be fine if you proceed. But a better design would be to unload the table into a flat file/dataset and proceed from there.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You must not use DIRECT path loading, only DML. DIRECT path will lock the table. Consider staging to disk somewhere between Extraction and Loading, as you won't have a restartable process otherwise. In addition, consider that a Server solution using OCI-->XFM-->OCI has the same issues with restartability.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vinaymanchinila »

Thank you guys, will stage the data before I load.
Thanks,
Vinay
pbatchu
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by pbatchu »

vinaymanchinila wrote:Thank you guys, will stage the data before I load.
You can do this. When you use Oracle Enterprise stage, Oracle reads the data at the point of time, in other words, you are reading the snapshot of the data, when you issued the SQL statement. You can update the same table with the data.

You will not get into locking situation.