I am getting warning while loading data into sequential file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bollinenik
Participant

I am getting warning while loading data into sequential file

Post by bollinenik »

I am loading data into sequential file , while loading null values I am getting below warning

Sequential_File_2: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "A": "null_field" length (0) must match field's fixed width (3)

Thanks in Advance for your suggestions
kOTI,
1586-738-7785
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Check the field "A", if its fixed width, the null field value that you have specified as default doesn't match the given length. It should be of 3 digit.
Search for ""null_field" length (0) must match field's fixed width (3)" for all match.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
bollinenik
Participant

Post by bollinenik »

Thx Kumar,
As per my knowledge we 2 options to overcome this , but @ field level option we have problem with maximum length and maximum number of fields and secomd one is file properties there I was succeded in Old project but now it's not working and it's throuning that warniing, If it should be same with every field width is problem at file properties right,

Earlier I was used file properties and set it as nullfiled value = ' ' like it's done, Now i am getting warnings

Pls share your experience

Thanks In Advance
kOTI,
1586-738-7785
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the data type is Char(3) then the Null Field Value property must contain three characters.

Indeed, any value in the field must contain exactly three characters.

Null Field Value is an example of an in-band null. An import operator converts it into an out-of-band null.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

The previous attempt may not be fixed width, or may be a varchar field.
Try giving three spaces like ' ' as default.
By the way, what is the issue at field level settings?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
michaeld
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by michaeld »

you should use a MODIFY stage to specify explicit values for nullable columns before you send them to a sequentail file.

If you don't need nullable columns in the target (assuming that your sequentail file is a reject file or something like that and your target is a dataset or DB stage) then you should do this in the very beginning just afetr the input stage.
Mike