Fetch value for APT_CONFIG_FILE value in Unix environment?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

videsh77
Premium Member
Premium Member

Fetch value for APT_CONFIG_FILE value in Unix environment?

Post by videsh77 »

In AIX environment, is there any way to find out what value has been set for APT_CONFIG_FILE for the datastage environment?

The reason I am asking this, I dont have an access to DataStage administrator. So I want to know, if environment is using configuration file other than "default.apt"?
Thanks with regards,
videsh.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You dont need access to the the administrator. You can just go to your log, the second entry will have all the environment variables. You can see the value of APT_CONFIG_FILE.
You can also go to your Project home directory and do

Code: Select all

cat DSParams | grep "APT_CONFIG_FILE"
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The DSParams lookup will show the project level default settings, but jobs can override this at runtime so that value may be incorrect. The best way to check is to look at the second log entry as DSGuru2B has already stated.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ArndW wrote:The DSParams lookup will show the project level default settings, but jobs can override this at runtime so that value may be incorrect.
O yea thats correct. Did'nt pay attention to that. Thanks for the clarification ArndW.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why not just

Code: Select all

grep APT_CONFIG_FILE DSParams
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Because of the fact that its value might be overwritten during run time as ArndW suggested. Or are you referring to the correct use of grep syntax?
videsh77
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by videsh77 »

Hi DSGuru

How will go to the project home?

Since .dshome represenet DS Engine home directory? Where will you look for?
Thanks with regards,
videsh.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Once you are in the home directory, go back a directory (cd ..). You will see a folder called "Projects". Go into that folder, you will see all the project names that you have setup. Go inside your project. You will find the DSParams file there.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Your project will be in the directory DSGuru2B mentioned if you used the default installation paths; but note that project directories can (and are) put anywhere on the machine.
If you login using the Administrator it will show you the path to a project and you can use that to find the project's DSParams file.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Actually, the value $APT_CONFIG_FILE is meaningless in the UNIX environment.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
videsh77
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by videsh77 »

Its great I could find DSParams file, which is part of projects directory.

But it was not at the default location. I had to search from the root to go to the projects folder.

After installation like .dshome, is there any file which has path information stored within to point to the different project locations, especially for non-admin users?

Also for admin users, as ArndW written, which location they will get to see path/pointer to different projects?
Thanks with regards,
videsh.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Videsh - You misinterpreted what I said.
After installation like .dshome
? Not sure what you mean there, but yes, there are files and tables which point to the project directories.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Using the Administrator client, any user can determine the location of a project. This is reported in the status bar when a project is selected.

On the server, location of a project is recorded in the hashed file UV.ACCOUNT and in the system table UV_SCHEMA. You can access both of these from the DataStage engine directory ($DSHOME) using appropriate DataStage/SQL queries.