parsing id column along with XML using XMLinput stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Vikas Jain
Participant

parsing id column along with XML using XMLinput stage

Post by Vikas Jain »

Hi,
1)I want to parse xml files stored in a blob column in a database table along with its id which is in second column for the same record.
When I am using XML input stage, I m able to parse the XML but cannot propogate the ID column without which the parsed XML defies meaning.
Its giving an error saying "The column of the output link is relative."
2)Also, Is there any script to extract XML out of blob column and store it into flat file?

Thanks in anticipation :)
Vikas
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

The short answer is no. Can you CAST the BLOB as LongVarChar of a suitable size and work with that?

In general BLOB is not supported for ETL, because there's no "T" (transformation) possible. You can extract and load BLOB, but if you want to access their contents, that's a whole new ball game.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Vikas Jain
Participant

casting BLOB as a longvarchar

Post by Vikas Jain »

Thanks Ray for ur inputs,
I m casting it as a longvarchar,
But the problem is All the Blob records containing differnet XML files are parsed simulataneoulsy and using the XML input stage I m not able to propogate the id column for a particular blob record with it.
Is there any way to resolve this?

Vikas Jain
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'propogate the id column for a particular blob', can you provide a specific example? Typically, in an XML stage columns declared without an XPath Expression simply propogate down the link, but I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for or not...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers