Problem in joining 2 datasets

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mydsworld
Participant

Problem in joining 2 datasets

Post by mydsworld »

I am trying to join (Inner) 2 datasets.The problem I am facing is the join output gives 0 rows and I find that one of the input dataset is sending only a few rows out of many rows it contains (shown by Performance statistics).What could be the reason for this.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Problem in joining 2 datasets

Post by sud »

The reason for getting zero output is no matching records and datastage only dispolays the number of records accessed to achieve the join, not necessarily all the records present in a link. So check why there are no matching records. If you want to see if there is any anomaly in the way datastage is behaving do a full outer join and see if all records from the input links to join are being read and everything is being output to the target.

:D
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the join keys are VarChar, make sure they are trimmed of leading and trailing space characters. Make sure that your data are identically hash partitioned and sorted on the join keys.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.