configuration file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

configuration file

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi,
My company is upgrading from server to parallel, can anyone help me in parallel edition , what is the theory behind assigning no of nodes to a process.

What i think is that if the no of nodes increases then load increases, so how can i determine the exact no of nodes required for a given process.

cheers;
vijay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You forgot the 'regarding'. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

There are many postings relating to this.
Try a search first.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Each job requires one conductor process (on the "conductor node"), one section leader process per node and as many as one player process per stage per node. These are allocated automatically by the parallel engine.
Allocation as described may change due to operator combination and restriction of particular stages to execution in node pools. The former is automatic; the latter is a design decision. Operator combination may be prevented on a per-job or a per-stage basis.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Saama »

Hi Gurus,
Thanks Very much.

cheers;
saama
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

You can mark the topic as "Resolved".
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

Ray, I have a few questions:

1)When we are talking about a "process", we are talking about a operating system process thread, right?
2)If you have a config file with 2 nodes and they look identical other than the name, how do you tell which one is a conductor process, which one is has the section leader and which has a player process?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1. No. Just process. As a general rule DataStage does not use threads. (There are, of course, some exceptions, particularly in sorting.)

2. They both have section leader and player processes. The conductor node is usually the first-named node in the default node pool, unless you have specified APT_CONDUCTOR_NODE to place it elsewhere.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

If there is a configuration file where both nodes are on the same box, does it make a difference as to which one is the conductor?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.