Protected project : Is this a bug??

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rlewis
Participant

Protected project : Is this a bug??

Post by rlewis »

Hi,

From the Datastage documentation it states that the highest permission level should allow importing, compiling and running of jobs in a protected project. However, we aren't able to compile... just import and run.

Is this expected behavior and the documentation is wrong or is this a bug? (it feels like a bug).

It seems to me that if a protected project allows importing, then it should certainly allow compiling.

Thanks in advance!
Rick
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What version of DataStage? I believe there was a bug of this nature in earlier 7.x versions that has since been corrected...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

I am using 7.5.2 and I cannot compile jobs in protected projects. The option to compile is greyed out and I cannot force compile from designer or manager without unprotecting the project. When I migrate the jobs I use version control which will migrate and compile jobs in protected projects.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Users with operator role should be able to import and run the jobs.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
rlewis
Participant

Post by rlewis »

I believe we are using version 7.5.1. Is there a file or command I can type to get the exact version info?

What is the most up-to-date version of 7.5 we should be running?

By the way, unlike Ultramundane we do not use the version control mechanism inside datastage.

Thanks again,
Rick
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Code: Select all

uv -admin -version
to determine exact version on server.

"Help > About" from a client will give both client and server versions.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rlewis
Participant

Post by rlewis »

Thanks, Ray. We are at 7.5.1.A

So, is the version we are running behaving as expected or is the documentation right and we have a bug in our version?

Rick
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What document you are referring to?
Production Manager should be able to import and run the jobs.
"Users can view objects in the project, and perform tasks that affect the way a job runs rather than the jobs design; specifically they can:
Run jobs
Set job properties
Set job parameter default values"
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
rlewis
Participant

Post by rlewis »

This is in the Administrator guide:
(Program Files\Ascential\DataStage7.5.1\dsadmin.chm)

Do a search on 'Protecting a Project' ...

Here is the excerpt ...

Protecting a Project
If you are a Production Manager user, you can convert the project to a protected project. This is a special category of project and, normally, nothing can be added, deleted or changed in the project.

Users can view objects in the project, and perform tasks that affect the way a job runs rather than the jobs design; specificallky they can:

o Run jobs

o Compile server and parallel jobs

o Generate code for mainframe jobs

o Set job properties

o Set job parameter default values

Users with Production Manager status can import existing DataStage components into a protected project.[/b][/list]
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What is the user (role) that been used?
Its interesting that
o Compile server and parallel jobs
o Generate code for mainframe jobs
are not included in the help text, though Compile wont really affect the design, unless a change in canvase otherwise.
rlewis
Participant

Post by rlewis »

We defined a user as a: Production Manager .

Basically, what we wanted to take advantage of was providing read-only access to developers which the protected project allows, but provide a Production Manager the ability to do the things listed in the documentation.

Were you able to find the documentation I referenced?

Thanks,
Rick
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

The version I use currently is 7.0, and it doesnt have this extra functionality of compiling. And it not mentioned in document as well.
In you scenario, why can developers export or promote the compiled code?
rlewis
Participant

Post by rlewis »

Hi Kumar_s,

I'm not sure I understand your question. I'll try to answer based on what we want to accomplish in our environment. We use an external source code control system so typically developers develop in the DEV project and place their ready for QA dsx files into the source code tool.

From there a QA "build" person would extract it from the source code tool and import it into QA. We only want folks in the QA build group to be able to do this while allowing developers the ability to view the job design. This goes for production as well.

Based on the documentation, it seemed like the protected project was everything we needed. According to the documentation we should be able to use the Production Manager role for the QA build team which would allow them to import, compile and run the jobs. Unfortunately, everything but the compile works.

If the behavior we are experiencing turns out to be "by design" instead of a bug, we'll have to come up with some way to allow the developers to view the job design without changing it in QA. Before we learned about the 'Production Manager' role we were going down the path of messing with the Unix permissions inside the Project directories. Unfortunately there, some files must be written to to allow anyone inside the project.

Sorry for the long winded reply. I hope it adds clarity to my situation. Unfortunatly, the original question of this thread still remains unanswered.

If the eventual answer turns out that the documentation is wrong, is there some other way to accomplish our goal by adjusting file permissions. Going down the path of datastage version control and promotion isn't an option for us.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Rick
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well past time you took this question to Support and asked the source, I would think. :wink:

Also, for the morbidly curious in the audience - why isn't "Going down the path of datastage version control and promotion" an option for you?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rlewis
Participant

Post by rlewis »

Hi Chulett,

We actually opened a ticket, case, whatever with IBM on this very question. Unfortunately we haven't received a concrete response yet. I figured while we were waiting, I would tap the knowledgeable audience here for the 'in the field' experience .

R