What's Important ??

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dh_Madhu
Premium Member
Premium Member

What's Important ??

Post by dh_Madhu »

Hi all,
I would be installing the Datastage7.5.2 EE in an AIX box tomorrow and am quite nervous about it as this one is going to be my first....:roll:
I have read some of the previous posts about the MKS tool kit and the .net C++ compiler support issues. And then the configuration file (not been thro' completly, but yes, i would refering the installation docs while on the job).
what are the other key issues that one should consider while installing this server software??What are the environmental variables that one should add/ remove or enable/disable ( if am right)??
Are there more important issues that one should consider during/after installation??

Need your invaluable advice.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Madhu Dharmapuri
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

MKS toolkit only applies to Windoze versions. Is it a fresh instalation or an upgrade? Just read the installation documents and readme notes for your version, make sure your kernel settings are in place ahead of time. The best advice is have the support number handy, because they're your first line of help. Check the forum here in case someone else has had your problem. We'll be of no help if you need a patch.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Take/make time to read the installation and upgrade manual, and any additional documentation that accompanies the software, very carefully.

Plan the process. Know the questions that will be asked by the install script, and have your answers ready. Make sure there's enough temporary space for transferring files from the media.

Make sure that the dsadm user exists, and that your UNIX groups are well planned for other DataStage users and projects.

Are you planning to do a root install or a non-root install? In either case you will probably need to have, or to have someone nearby with, the root password. Are you planning to use the default shared memory key identifier, or to perform an "-itag" installation?

Is this an SMP or a clustered environment? There's more to do if it's a cluster or grid.

There will almost certainly be a need to configure access to databases. There are separate documents describing these processes for different databases, particularly DB2.

Plan, plan, get your plan checked, and plan again.

If that's all too overwhelming, buy in some services from IBM and oblige them to tell you what they're doing at each step.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dh_Madhu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dh_Madhu »

Thanks a lot Kcbland and Ray for all those inputs.
Well, this one is going to be a fresh installation and would be starting it in a couple of hrs.
Most of them are "unheard of" issues for me.
Anyway I shall get back soon.
Regards,
Madhu Dharmapuri