Joining Dimensions in a data warehouse - is it possible?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

santoshkumar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Joining Dimensions in a data warehouse - is it possible?

Post by santoshkumar »

Hi All,

I have a situation wherein I need to look into probability of Joining 2 dimension in a data mart which we are designing.

I am exploring the possibility of joining two dimension using joiner table (this I am doing coz I need to show many- to- many relationship between these dimensions). i.e. this joiner table becomes a kind of fact table but not exactly one.

This joiner table can then be linked to the fact table as well.

Any one out here has tried doing it? What are challenges? Can it be done? What are limitations?

Suggestions if any would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Santosh.
Santosh
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If I understand properly, the joiner table will have the set of keys the links both dimension table. But let me know, why do you want to do this, if you can join the dimension tables directly using Fact tables. After all the dimensions can be purposefully used only after joining with fact table.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

If you have to, then there is no problem in joining the data between the two dimensions.
But you need to be careful here, because, you have an additional task to keep this new 'joiner table' up to date
with the changes to either of the dimensions.
You need to figure out a way to keep this new table updated.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Some authorities refer to this link table as a "factless fact table" - its purpose is to register the many-to-many relationship and nothing else.

Subsequently you may add some kind of measure to this table, but it doesn't need one.

But, as narasimha pointed out, the link table has to be kept up to date.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.