Dataset file creation error!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Dataset file creation error!

Post by abc123 »

I have a simple job where text data is being moved to a dataset. The job has 2 stages, a sequential file stage and dataset stage. I can view the data in the sequential file stage. When I run the jobs, I get the following error:

The file identified as '/MyPath/MyFile.ds' is not an ORCHESTRATE Data Set descriptor.

I searched through this forum and found 2 posts. One recommended turning off RCP which I did but it didn't help any.

Thanks to anyone who responds.
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

Ok. I figured it out. I had to manually delete all child files from /home/dsadm/Ascential/Datastage/Datasets and also had to delete the parent .ds file. This could not be done using the Dataset management utility.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why not? This is precisely one of the tasks that the Data Set Management utility is intended to perform. Perhaps you do not know how to use it properly?

Did you nominate the Data Set control file in the utility? Was there an error message when attempting to delete the Data Set? If so, what was it?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

How exactly did you delete those files ???
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

I tried to load the dataset using the Dataset Management utility. It was giving an "Unrecognized error". It would then load a blank file. I tried deleting it but it couldn't.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You mentioned that you manually deleted the child files. I just wanted to point out that you should not use the unix rm to remove any .ds files. Thats just a descriptor file. It needs to be removed using the orchadmin rm command.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

abc123 wrote:I tried to load the dataset using the Dataset Management utility. It was giving an "Unrecognized error". It would then load a blank file. I tried deleting it but it couldn't.
Did you specify the pathname of the ".ds" file to the Data Set Management utility?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.