Accessing Universe tables from one project to another

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

imbos123
Charter Member
Charter Member

Accessing Universe tables from one project to another

Post by imbos123 »

Hi,

I have two Datstage projects
RETAIL and FINANCE
I need to access DS_JOB and DS_OBJECTS of RETAIL project from FINANCE project.

Basicallly, I have written Server jobs which is using UNIVERSE stage and trying to find out objects used in each Project. To get the objects from each project I have to copy this job in every project and get these details. I was thinking whether we have a better way to do it. So that the DSN name localuv can be replaced dynamically to access DS_JOB tables.
Thanks
xcb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by xcb »

Be warned that fooling around in DS_JOBS and DS_JOBOBJECTS can cause major instabilities in your project. There are other ways to compare this data - The provided reporting assitant can get to this info and has pretty much everything that DS_JOBS and DS_JOBOBJECTS contains.

Having said that...

I don't know if what you are asking can be done easily, however you can create a Q-pointer to a table in another project which might help you out. It acts like a synonym to that table.

From a telnet/administrator prompt type HELP SET.FILE to see how the command works. You would have to set the pointer up before being able to use it in your job.
Cameron Boog
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Perhaps you could explain why you think you need to "access DS_JOB and DS_OBJECTS of RETAIL project from FINANCE project"? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you use DataStage/SQL, you can qualify the table name with the schema name. For example, in Project1 you can (assuming you have Project2 and the table EXAMPLE1 exists there)

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM Project2.EXAMPLE1;
Therefore, to detect differences, you might left outer join DS_JOBS from Project1 with DS_JOBS in Project2, and left outer join DS_JOBS from Project2 with DS_JOBS in Project1. DataStage/SQL does not support right outer join, as it's provable that any right outer join can be crafted as the reverse left outer join.

I would strenuously advise against using DataStage/SQL to copy job designs from one project to another. Use export/import; it's 1000% safer.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
imbos123
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by imbos123 »

H Ray,

I was trying to access the <ProjectName>.DS_JOBS and was getting below error
Table does not exist.

Is there anyway, I can call this from Universe stage.
The reason I am doing this to list all the ojest from all the projects we are working on and load it into the database.
Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Do it via a script. Really small and easy. Something like this

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/ksh
export file=/..../..../...../ProjectNames.txt
export jobNames=/..../..../.../AllJobs.txt

#Source the dsenv file
cd $DSHOME 
. ./dsenv 

#Remove AllJobs.txt from previous run
rm -f $jobNames
cat $file | while read projname
do
   dsjob -ljobs $projname >> $jobNames
done
source this in the before job subroutine via 'ExecSH' and read the file 'AllJobs.txt' from a sequential file stage.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.