Teradata connection issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

To use the Teradata Enterprise Stage, you need a Terasync table set up with write access to it. Go through the Parallel Job Developer's guide for details on the Teradata Enterprise Stage and also the Parallel Job Advanced User's Guide (Teradata Environment Variables).

Try the Teradata API stage - which would work without the terasync table.

Aneesh
DSGuru79
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSGuru79 »

Ask the datastage admin to create
$APT_TERA_SYNC_DATABASE env variable. This will solve the issue
DSGuru79
y2ariyas
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by y2ariyas »

Thanks for the quick response DSGuru79 and thebird.

We dont really have a ds admin, we pretty much do all of the admin stuff as well.

does it matter where $APT_TERA_SYNC_DATABASE is set?
do we have to link this variable somewhere else?
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

The problem looks more like permission issue. Do an exact search on this forum for terasync and you will get a lot of helpful posts on this issue.

You will have to create this variable as a User Defined Environment Variable.

Aneesh
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

y2ariyas
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by y2ariyas »

After adding the environment variable, do we have to restart the ds engine? does it help or no? we tried without restarting still same error.
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

y2ariyas wrote:After adding the environment variable, do we have to restart the ds engine? does it help or no? we tried without restarting still same error.
Did you try and follow the post in the link above - regarding the previleges and perm space required for the Terasync table?
y2ariyas
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by y2ariyas »

thebird,

i think the issue we're having is different from that. we are able to connect in server job using the same user. do you think i should still try the following steps from other link you gave me? Also i'm not quite following what i should do. do i have to create a WORKDB env variable..is that all i have to do?
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

In the Server version, you dont have a Teradata Enterprise stage. The Enterprise stage and the API stage work differently.

First check if you you have enough Perm space and Spool. (the developer's guide say atleast 100 MB of perm and 10 MB of spool) in the database that you are trying to acess. If this is fine check if you create and write permissions on the DB.

If you do not have permissions, then create the following environment variables -

APT_TERA_SYNC_DATABASE = [db name for terasync table]
APT_TERA_SYNC_USER = [user name used for terasync table]
APT_TERA_SYNC_PASSWORD = [password for user used to access terasync table]

The APT_TERA_SYNC_DATABASE should be created where you enough space and previlege.

If you do a seach as I suggested earlier, you will get a lot of help on this topic.