Error in creating fixed length sequential file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsguy
Participant

Error in creating fixed length sequential file

Post by dsguy »

Hi All

I am getting following error while inserting in to a fixed length sequential file.
Error when checking operator: "record_length=fixed" (no length given) and record field format is variable-length. The first variable-length field is "C_UNITS".

the datatype is smallint.

Can we use smalint and decimal for fixed length sequential file?

Thanks for your help in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Edit the extended properties (Edit Row...) and provide Field Width property values.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

dsguy wrote:Hi Ajith
Thanks for your inputs.
Actually my source is
Sybase and the datatype for teh columns are smallint and decimal can you helo me what is the length i need to spacify in the metadata information.

Thanks,
girish
Hi Girish,

How he can help about your source fileds length of small int and decimal ?

You have to decide what is your source and target filed lengths and then Edit the extended properties (Edit Row...) and provide Field Width property values.
NageshSunkoji

If you know anything SHARE it.............
If you Don't know anything LEARN it...............
ajith
Participant

Post by ajith »

dsguy wrote:Hi Ajith
Thanks for your inputs.
Actually my source is
Sybase and the datatype for teh columns are smallint and decimal can you helo me what is the length i need to spacify in the metadata information.

Thanks,
girish
Smallint is 16 bit int so the maximum value is +32 767 if it is signed ..
So u can keep the length as 5

Regarding the decimal you have to get it because there is no limit to the data there.. Try to get the maximum value the field is going to hold and give that length ...
dsguy
Participant

Post by dsguy »

Hi Ajith

Actually i am using length 5 for small int but still it is throwing the above given error.

The value in the colum is 2 for all teh records but still it throws an error i am not sure why?

Thanks,
girish
dsguy
Participant

Post by dsguy »

Hi

I edit the lenght made it as 5 for small it in Datastge seq file.The actual value present is 2 for all the records.Still it throws this error

Sequential_File_55: Error when checking operator: Unable to initialize the exporter.

Sequential_File_55: Error when checking operator: "record_length=fixed" (no length given) and record field format is variable-length. The first variable-length field is "C_UNITS".

Thanks,
girish