Error: unable to delete

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You probably lack write permission to the parent directory on the production server.

Write permission to its parent directory is required to delete a file because the directory (a list of contents) has to be edited to remove the file entry.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lak
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by lak »

Thank you.Can you please tell me whats is the parent directory?
ray.wurlod wrote:You probably lack write permission to the parent directory on the production server.

Write permission to its parent directory is required to delete a file because the directory (a list of contents) has to be edited to remove the file entry.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The file that it can not delete is '/u01/Ascential/DataStage/asclscratch/uat_edw.MAINT_USERS_SECR.bad' therefore its parent directory is '/u01/Ascential/DataStage/asclscratch'

It may also be that the file was created by a different user ID, or is still in use. These are other potential reasons for being unable to delete a file. cd to the parent directory and execute ls -la command to garner more information.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lak
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by lak »

there is only single user (i.e. dsadm)running these jobs but still getting same error .

dsadm@etlprod:/u01/Ascential/DataStage> ls -la

drwxrwxr-x 2 dsadm dstage 4096 Dec 03 15:07 asclscratch

Please help me.

Thanks

ray.wurlod wrote:The file that it can not delete is '/u01/Ascential/DataStage/asclscratch/uat_edw.MAINT_USERS_SECR.bad' therefore its parent directory is '/u01/Ascential/DataStage/asclscratch'

It may also be that the file was created by a different user ID, or is still in use. These are other potential reasons for being unable to delete a file. cd to the parent directory and execute ls -la command to garner more information.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Check the permission of the file 'uat_edw.MAINT_USERS_SECR.bad' using ls -lat. And make sure the file exist in the correct format as expected.
Check the owner of the file. Check if the file can be deleted using dsadm.
Just curious to know, if its production, shouldn't it be prod_edw.....
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

kumar_s wrote:Just curious to know, if its production, shouldn't it be prod_edw.....
I think we have a winner. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers