How to handle restarting of subsequnces in Failure cases

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bollinenik
Participant

How to handle restarting of subsequnces in Failure cases

Post by bollinenik »

Hi,
My scenario is...I have one master sequence which had 10 subsequences So, if any one getting aborted so how can handle that to restart that failed sequences what i need to take care and how can i handle that situvation and any one have idea on this how many subsequences can prefer in one sequence in better performance point of view...pls suggest me

Thanks in advance
kOTI,
1586-738-7785
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What exact version of DataStage?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bollinenik
Participant

Post by bollinenik »

Hi Chulett,
It is 7.5.1A
kOTI,
1586-738-7785
Raghavendra
Participant

Post by Raghavendra »

have u enable "Add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure" option in job properties
Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

enable "Add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure" option in job properties of all your subsequences and in main sequence. I think it will solve your problem.
NageshSunkoji

If you know anything SHARE it.............
If you Don't know anything LEARN it...............
wannabexpert
Participant

Post by wannabexpert »

enabling checkpoints option in job properties will do good and according to my knowledge no of subsequence job wont come under performance issue,only the size of the job in a sequence comes under performance issue
bollinenik
Participant

Post by bollinenik »

Hi Nagesh,

That is fine to enable that "add check points is ok" But If i want to excute only failed sequences while restarting for that how can i maintain, and how can i start only that sequence in failed cases

Thanks in advance
kOTI,
1586-738-7785
Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

bollinenik wrote:Hi Nagesh,

That is fine to enable that "add check points is ok" But If i want to excute only failed sequences while restarting for that how can i maintain, and how can i start only that sequence in failed cases

Thanks in advance
Hi,

What happening, if you start the Main sequence, after failure of subsequence ?

Is it saying Job is in aborting state or it is starting from the next step of before failure ?
NageshSunkoji

bollinenik
Participant

Post by bollinenik »

No I am resetting the aborted jobs and then starting but it's starting from first sequence onwords but i want to start where ever it's failed

Ex: If 1 sequence had total 6 subsequences but 4,5 subsequences are failed So,while restarting I need to excutre that 4&5 only
How can i do that

Thanks in Advance
kOTI,
1586-738-7785
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

If you do what previous posters said, the main sequence will start from subsequence #4. Also be sure for all job activities to have "Reset if required, then run", instead of just "Run"
Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

bollinenik wrote:No I am resetting the aborted jobs and then starting but it's starting from first sequence onwords but i want to start where ever it's failed

Ex: If 1 sequence had total 6 subsequences but 4,5 subsequences are failed So,while restarting I need to excutre that 4&5 only
How can i do that

Thanks in Advance
Hi,

R u getting the option called RestartAfterfialure ion in the Mainsequence ?

If you add check points, you will get this option, instead of reset you have to select this option RestartAfterfialure, to run your jobs from the point of failure.

But, I am not sure, whether your Main sequence is aborting or it is completed without any aborts.
NageshSunkoji

bollinenik
Participant

Post by bollinenik »

It's completed remaing without aborting,
The main sequence status is allways FINISHED only..that should be as current design, In that case wat i need to take care
kOTI,
1586-738-7785
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

bollinenik wrote:Ex: If 1 sequence had total 6 subsequences but 4,5 subsequences are failed So,while restarting I need to excutre that 4&5 only. How can i do that
Not only must your 'sub' sequence jobs be restartable but your main sequence job must be as well. And any checkpointed Sequence must have aborted to be restartable - and you can tell because it will have a status of 'Aborted/Restartable' rather than simply 'Aborted'.

Which means your main Sequence job needs to recognize that a sub-Sequence had a problem and abort itself. For version 7.5.x all you should need are 'OK' triggers and both of the 'left hand side' options enabled in all Sequence jobs:

* Add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure
* Automatically handle activities that fail
-craig

bollinenik
Participant

Post by bollinenik »

I don't want to abort that master sequence if any subsequence aborted,But while restarting it should excute that failed subsequences only. In this case how can I do.

Thanks In Advance
kOTI,
1586-738-7785
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can't! Which part of 'must abort to restart' was unclear? :wink:

Doesn't matter what you want, the master sequence must abort to allow the checkpoint restarting to function.
-craig