Message Handler for specific Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dwblore
Charter Member
Charter Member

Message Handler for specific Job

Post by dwblore »

Hello

I have read through the FAQ on the forum however have we can implement a named message handler for a particular job.

Lets say I create a message handler which has two rules.
I would now like that this message handler be used as the default handler for a specific job(instead of adding the two rules manually in the "Edit local runtime handler" option), how would I do this.

Thnx in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Once you have named message handler(s) - files with names ending in ".msh" in the MessageHandlers directory - you get an extra option in the dialog for handling a message, and the drop down list of named message handlers becomes available. Choose one from there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

Hi,

You can do this by adding the warning (or the rule) to an existing or a new Message Handler, from the director. THere is an option called - "Add Rule to chosen Message Handler" - when selected you will get a drop down of existing named handlers. You can either chose one to add your warning, or create a new handler for your warning.

Regards

The Bird.
dwblore
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by dwblore »

ray.wurlod wrote:Once you have named message handler(s) - files with names ending in ".msh" in the MessageHandlers directory - you get an extra option in the dialog for handling a message, and the drop down list of named message handlers becomes available. Choose one from there.
Yes I do see the named message handler added.

However it always seems to taking the local message handler instead of the named one.

Messages handled:
Message handler: Local
1 message(s) suppressed: TOIX000163 Sequential_File_0,0: Import complete; 2 records imported successfully, 0 rejected.

This is what I did, please let me know where I'm going wrong:

> Opened the director log for the job :J_PxExample.

> Right clicked on the following message and clicked on the "add rule to chosen message handler" ... clicked on new in the MessageHandler dialog box ... and then Add Rule ... provided the name MsgHandlerDemo.

1. Sequential_File_0,0: Import complete; 2 records imported successfully, 0 rejected.

>right clicked on the following second message and added it to the named message handler MsgHandlerDemo

> Added the following rules to a named message handler called "MsgHandlerDemo"

2.main_program: The open files limit is 2000; raising to 2147483647.

Also I added the rule

Sequential_File_0,0: Import complete; 2 records imported successfully, 0 rejected.

> to the local message handler by right clicking on the message -> add rule to message handler and then selecting "Add Rule to Local runtime handler for Job J_PxExample..."

Now how do i ensure that the handler used for handling the messages for this job is "MsgHandlerDemo" and not the local one.

Thanks in advance
dwblore
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by dwblore »

Hello "TheBird"

We didnt have any success at this seemingly simple task of using a named message handler for a particular job. have included the steps we followed ... where could we be going wrong ?

thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What - precisely - did you attempt?

Which of the three option buttons did you select?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dwblore
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by dwblore »

ray.wurlod wrote:What - precisely - did you attempt?

Which of the three option buttons did you select?
Hello

We selected the "Add rule to Chosen Message Handler" option to create the new message handler and add the rule to it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

View that message handler file (in the MessageHandlers directory) to see whether the particular event ID is stored therein as you requested.