Partitioning - Writing to DB2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Partitioning - Writing to DB2

Post by Raftsman »

I am trying to understand the partitioning mechanism with DS and cannot seem to get it working properly.

In the Transformer stage I created a Stage Variable containing the init. value as

@PARTITIONNUM - @NUMPARTITIONS + 1 =====> Stored in svCounter

In my stage derivation I put

MAXEVNTID + svCounter + @NUMPARTITIONS

Where MAXEVNTID is the MAX record from the last write from the prior run.

When I look at the key, it is incrementally increase by huge numbers. I wanter to increase by 1 spread out by partition.

Could someone please help me understand what the @PART.. @NUM..
determine and how do I get the patitions correctly increased.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

@PARTITIONNUM is the ordinal number of the partition on which the process is executing. Possible value is in the range 0 through (@NUMPARTITIONS - 1).

@NUMPARTITIONS is constant, established by the number of nodes mentioned in the configuration file or in the node pool in which the stage is executing.

These numbers do not control partitioning. That is managed by the selected partitioning algorithm - by default DB2 for the DB2/UDB Enterprise stage.

Are you trying to generate a sequence, or just the partition number? If the latter, then @PARTITIONNUM alone will do it for you. Otherwise you may need @INROWNUM or some other counter in your expression.

Or use the Surrogate Key Generator stage, which generates a unique sequence across all partitions.

Or search the forum for other techniques.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

Hi Raftsman,

I generally use -

@PARTITIONNUM + (@NUMPARTITIONS * (@INROWNUM - 1)) + 1 + SeedVal (where SeedVal si the MAX record from the last write from the prior run)

to generate counters/surrogate keys.

The Bird.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Thank you very much...I can't tell you how much this has frustrated me. Thank god for this forum..
Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

Raftsman wrote:Thank you very much...I can't tell you how much this has frustrated me. Thank god for this forum..
Hi,

Its nice to hear that your problem was resolved. But, mark it this post as RESOLVED and it will be nice.
NageshSunkoji

If you know anything SHARE it.............
If you Don't know anything LEARN it...............