Which scripting language is better to know for DS developers

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Which scripting language is better to know for DS developers

Post by abc123 »

Korn Shell, Perl, Bash or others ? As a DS developer working in a UNIX/LINUX environment, knowing a scripting language helps enormously. I would like to hear your opinions as to which one might be best for a long term DS career.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Start by learning fundamental Bourne shell scripting, as these are the most portable, and used within the product itself to a large degree. The principles can then be extended to the other shell languages. Korn is an extension of Bourne, and bash is "Bourne again shell".

Perl is a much more powerful language, learn the others first so that you can be aware of their "limitations" according to Perl programmers.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jgreve
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Which scripting language is better to know for DS develo

Post by jgreve »

Once again, I agree with Ray.

I would add this...
As you learn the ways of scripting, put some energy into learning how the host operating system thinks. It will help you to know about pipes, signals, memory handling, disk management, and so on.

With respect to a long term DS career, learning some C++ programming (and more importantly, debugging ) would help.

Install some kind of Linux (you can kind of fake it in MKS, but it is better to jump in all the way). Get good at driving the command line (gui's are for posers). Learn a capable editor (emacs or vi (vim is better than pure vi)).

Unix and Perl have rich cultures, it will take some time to get comfortable with them, so most importantly have fun with it.
The creator of Perl's perspective may help: http://www.wall.org/~larry/natural.html
abc123 wrote:Korn Shell, Perl, Bash or others ? As a DS developer working in a UNIX/LINUX environment, knowing a scripting language helps enormously. I would like to hear your opinions as to which one might be best for a long term DS career.

Thanks.