ABAP extract

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rickrambo
Participant

ABAP extract

Post by rickrambo »

Hi,
I have an ABAP extract jon (there are other stages too). The job is taking more than 1.5 hours to complete. I found one extract (I have 4 other ABAP extract stages in this job) taking bulk of this time. I removed everything else and just kept one ABAP extract stage and wrote a flat file. Even then it is taking 1 hour 20 minutes. R3 backend database is DB2 and this table has 1.9 million rows. I worked with similar or even ore voulmes before, But it never took this much time. What can be the reason?
Thanks in advance,
Rick
ambasta
Participant

Post by ambasta »

Hi Rick,
the problem can be huge amount of data.else as u specified you using too many ABAP[4] stages.this will also lead to performance issue.what i can suggest u is,....u can use function Module calling and hence reduce no. of Abap Stages.Try this or else can u plz elaborate u problem in some datail???

Thanks
ambasta
rickrambo
Participant

Post by rickrambo »

ambasta wrote:Hi Rick,
the problem can be huge amount of data.else as u specified you using too many ABAP[4] stages.this will also lead to performance issue.what i can suggest u is,....u can use function Module calling and hence reduce no. of Abap Stages.Try this or else can u plz elaborate u problem in some datail???

Thanks
Hi ,
There are 4 ABAP extracts. 3 of them are on smaller tables used for look-up. In fact, I deleted everything else on the canvas and just kept one ABAP extract stage and writing to a flat file witout any other processing. Even then it is taking 1 hour 20 minutes for extracting 1.6 million rows. I agree volume is more but more than one hour? Is there a specific area I can ask BASIS to look at where my job is spending more time? Will some indexing / reorg of the table in R3 help?
Thanks,
Rick
ambasta
Participant

Post by ambasta »

Hi Rick,
Some time it happens.what i can suggets you is..try to generate the program from scratch.i think it will help you ....sometime while generating the problem ...parsing is not happening properly or program encounters some error and led to performance issue.Second thing i want to tell you is...join all three small lookup tables and write it to dataset and again in next job do a lookup of this dataset with your main table....try this...

Thanks.
ambasta