how to import XML files in parallel jobs?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

peterxu
Participant

how to import XML files in parallel jobs?

Post by peterxu »

Hi guys, anybody experienced in importing xml files in parallel jobs?

I tried sequential file stage to import and it worked sometime but not always.

So any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi peterxu, Welcome Aboard !!!:D

What difficulty you face while reading the XML file through sequential file stage, afterall if you assume it as an flat file
You can see some dedicated XML stage available for this. Try that out.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
peterxu
Participant

Post by peterxu »

Hi kumar, thanks for your reply.

I ,sometimes, met with the fatal error "Consumed more than 100,000 bytes looking for record delimiter; aborting " using the sequential stage.

I've found the xml stages like input/output and others. But I can't find a proper one to import the whole xml file. Could you name one? thank you!
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Error gives you the information that, the delimiter that you set in sequential file (may be ',' or '|'...) is not available even after reading 100,000 bytes.
AS the name implies, you can use the XML Input as your input stage.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
peterxu
Participant

Post by peterxu »

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. :)

As I want to import the whole file as one record row for later parsing, I set the record delimiter "null" and the whole file size is much smaller than 100k. But it still failed. Do you think there could be any encoding issue to consider?

And for the xml input stage, I tried but can't find the property to locate the souce file position. How do you get that through? Any hints will be appreciated.
BalageBaju
Participant

Post by BalageBaju »

kumar_s wrote:Error gives you the information that, the delimiter that you set in sequential file (may be ',' or '|'...) is not available even after reading 100,000 bytes.
AS the name implies, you can use the XML Input as your input stage.
Hi,
Kumar is correct. Use XML Input stage for importing data from XML files. Import the metadata for that file and use that in your XML Input file stage.
Regards,
Balaji.
peterxu
Participant

Post by peterxu »

Really thanks for all of your reply, especially fir kumar. But there is some misunderstanding about the problem now. That's my fault. Sorry I didn't describe the scenario clearly.

What I exactly want is to parse xml files with a java application wrapped as a stage. Thus I need the xml file to be imported as a whole file, which can be handled by the following wrapped stage.

In this case, I don't think the xml input stage can help( If I'm wrong, pls correct me).

So I have to find another stage to import the xmls as a normal file. And what I found is the sequential file stage, but it couldn't work steadily depending on the xml file format. Anyone can give me some better ideas or hints to solve this problem? Many thanks in advance.
indukuri
Participant

import xml files

Post by indukuri »

kumar_s wrote:Hi peterxu, Welcome Aboard !!!:D

What difficulty you face while reading the XML file through sequential file stage, afterall if you assume it as an flat file
You can see some dedicated XML stage available for this. Try that out.
Hi kumar,
i dont know how to import xml files
can please send me the description about xml input stage.
indukuri
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Do some searches...there are many entries that describe how this is done and entries that point to other resorources here and on the web.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>