Row Count in Aggregator

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijayrc
Participant

Row Count in Aggregator

Post by vijayrc »

Hi,
First should thank all the suggestion for my previous questions.
I have an alternate method of arriving at the no of rows used, but my question is : In an Aggregator stage, is there a way to count the no of rows?

e..g, if it's Grouped by A/C Nr and there are 10 records for this A/C No, I would like to know this Number [10]
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Select the Aggregate Function to be "Count"
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

please read below message
Last edited by talk2shaanc on Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shantanu Choudhary
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

I am not aware of your other design detail, so my suggestion would be based on some assumptions.

If ActNo is one of the key columns and is at the higher level, then it would be an additional benefit. Assuming it is; I would sort the data on ActNo and hash partition on ActNo and enable "Create Cluster key change column". In the transformer stage (that you may be having)use "Key Change" column to and define logic to perform aggregation.
An example on cluster key change column: a new column "Key Change" will be added by Datastage and the first row for account number will be 1 and remaining duplicate rows will have 0.
ActNo COLA COLB KeyChange
1 A B 1
1 C D 0
1 E F 0
2 S T 1
2 U v 0
3 W X 1

Aggregator is creepy, I avoid using it; unless its absolutely necessary.
Shantanu Choudhary
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

narasimha wrote:Select the Aggregate Function to be "Count"
But in the same aggregator, I need few columns to be Calculated, and other column to be Row-Counted, and this isn't permitted !?!?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes it is. You need an additional output column for the count, set it up with Non Missing Values Count (or Missing Values Count) as its calculation function. If you need both, derive both and sum them in a following Transformer stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Include a count (*) when you are grouping in your source query

select AccountNumber, count(*)
from XXX
group by AccountNumber

count(*) gives you the number of AccountNumber's in your grouping.
Now you can carry this count(*) coulmn forward to your Aggregator, select the Aggregate function say "First".
You can do your calcluations on other columns as you want.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.