Float To Numeric (25,7)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Float To Numeric (25,7)

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Forum,

I am mapping floats sourced from SQL Enterprise to target of Numeric(25,7).
The size of the target almost guarantees that I will have some visible difference in the actual values, especially since I have no specifications for truncation or rounding.

My average mapping from float to such a target results in a difference of 0.001.

The worst difference in actual magnitude between source and target is
Source:

Target:

With a difference of:

I realize this is accurate to 7 digits, and I might be asking for a little much to get something better. I've tried several things to reduce the issue:
1) Change source metadata from float to double. This is something that DataStage seems to do automatically with a warning:
Input: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "FIELD_NAME" to field "FIELD_NAME": Implicit conversion; from source type "dfloat" to result type "sfloat": Possible range/precision limitation
2) Using an explicit conversion function from float (15) to numeric (25,7):
DfloatToDecimal(LookupResults.FIELD_NAME, "round_inf")

Both of these changes resulted in the same results as relying on implicit conversion to target.

From reading some of the posts here, it seems that this is fairly typical for such conversions, although I am pressed to ask if anybody has any other suggestions for improving the result (other than making the target a float as well). My Business users are not going to be impressed with the above example.

Also, is DfloatToDecimal(LookupResults.FIELD_NAME, "round_inf") the preferred conversion method and in which situations will it outperform the implicit conversion?

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg
Last edited by gsherry1 on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Greg, does PX do any better if you input the data as a string and then convert to double precision? It might be that the loss of precision can be avoided by doing that.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Thanks for your suggestion ArndW,

I changed all source metadata columns to varchar(50) from float(15), and used the StringToDecimal() function to convert to Numeric(25,7) target.

For the most part, the function did a good job in conversion. However there was some major issues when the source string contained more than 8-9 digits:

8 to 9 digit source string -> mapped to 0.000 on target.
7 to 8 digit source string -> Fairly good representation in target.
<7 digit source string -> Source and target differed by less than 10E-14 and usually calculated a difference of 0. Better than previous method for some small values.

Average precision in target differed by 0.04 when I exclude the mapped to 0 cases. The average amount of digits that matched was 7.

I do not understand why 8 to 9 digit strings are coming back as 0. This does not occur during the read from the source database into DataStage, but in the StringToDecimal function itself. Any suggestions?

Greg
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I think it is time to delve into the environment variables for precision in PX - I'm not at a PC with the PDFs right now, but perhaps you can find the relevant settings or someone here will add them to this thread.
sri1dhar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Float To Numeric (25,7)

Post by sri1dhar »

I had similar issue with floats when using Sybase Enterprise stage. I tried several things that didn't help.

Finally it worked when I used Basic Transormer and Sybase OC stage instead of PX Transformer, Sybase Enterprise stage with float defined as decimal in the column metadata.

Eventually we ended up developing a server job becuase we didn't want to use BASIC Transformer in PX jobs.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Not certain if these were the environment variables to which you were referring, but setting the following on my jobs did not have any affect on the target being mapped to zero when using StringToDecimal(), or the average deviation between source and target when using StringToDecimal() or DFloatToDecimal():

$APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_SCALE = 30
$APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_PRECISION = 70

Greg
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Update:

By changing my imported metadata source fields from float to the same as my target decimal(25,7), all these problems dissapear. DataStage still throws a conversion precision warning upon reading the data into the DataStage job, but the precision loss is much more acceptable (10E-12 typically).

I usually consider best practice to use the datatypes to read in data that the import generator chooses for you, and then perform an explicit conversion to target datatype. However, in this case that had unacceptable results.

If anybody has a solution that doesn't require me to change my imported source metadata, I'll be happy to hear it.

Greg
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Change the source! :lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
blewip
Participant

Post by blewip »

I know this has been marked as resolved, however I don't think this works properly. If the float is defined as a Decimal in the input (Sybase) stage, we are relying on an implicit conversion. I am finding that for certain fields we are losing records
Security_View,0: Unable to set output decimal field value from argument string '9.9999999999999995e-07' in function setOutputFieldAsDecimal() for field '24' in output dataset '0'.
This is not giving me a precision warning, it is dropping the record. Better to define the input as double, then convert to Decimal using a explicit conversion.

DecimalToDFloat(From_Security_View_Data.CPN_RT)
Modern Life is Rubbish - Blur