Warnings in Look up stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Meera
Premium Member
Premium Member

Warnings in Look up stage

Post by Meera »

Hi

My job design is

Transformer (TRS)
(key,a,b)
|
|
lookup(LKP_ID)----------->dataset(DS)(ID decimal(38,0)NotNull,a,b)
ID decimal(38,0)NotNull
^
|
|
|
oracle stage (GET_ID)
(key,ID decimal(38,0) NotNull)

In the oracle stage
SELECT ID.NEXTVAL FROM DUAL
where 1 = ORCHESTRATE.Key

I am getting the following warnings in the look up stage

1.LKP_ID: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "ID" to field "ID": Implicit conversion from source type "decimal[38,10]" to result type "decimal[38,0]": Possible precision limitation.

2.LKP_ID: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "ID" to field "ID": Converting a nullable source to a non-nullable result;a fatal runtime error could occur; use the modify operator to
specify a value to which the null should be converted.

Please suggest me some ways to overcome this warnings

Thanks
meera
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Warning 1: If input metadata length were not given, the default value is taken as 38,10. So you need to either specify the length as 38,10 in output or 38,0 in input.

Warning 2: As specified in the warning, Nullable Column 'ID' is marked as Not Nullable in output grid. If you need to maintain as not nullable, you need to handle null, either using modify stage (handle_null option) or in transformer or in the target stage.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Meera
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Meera »

Hi Kumar,

For warning1. I tried that option, still iam getting the warning.

For warning2. In the target also i have as notnull.

Thanks
Meera
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Waht is the datalentgh, sqltype, Nullability for the 'ID' field in LKP_ID stage?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Meera
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Meera »

Hi Kumar,

The datalength is 38, sqltype is Decimal and Notnull

Thanks
meera
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If you are sure, that both input and output are of same datatype and same lenght in the given stage, check for RPC. If that is enabled, disable it.
anntaylor
Participant

Post by anntaylor »

Check the job which creates the dataset. I suspect that job has the decimal(38,10) datatype for the dataset. The metadata is stored in the dataset even though you can change it within a job.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Annataylor is right, you can also check the dataset's definition using ORCHADMIN at the command line or the dataset management menu items in the GUI
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

This post is PX post. Should moved to Parallel by moderatorb]

In case, when you execute a job to create dataset and the dataset already exists, then overwrite property plays imp roles. E.g. if the dataset is earlier created a col EmpNo with datatype Decimal(10) and later during next run the datatype was changed to integer, it may be the case the in the dataset the datatype of the col will remain as D(10) even though in ur job it is shown as Integer.

I have faced this once in a job. In DS designer, datatype shown was char(7) and when I used the orchadmin to check the metadata it was Decimal(7). The reason of this was during first run of job, DS has column as D(7).

So I always check the datatypes using orchadmin in such cases.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.