Extracting excel file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

m_siddu2000
Participant

Extracting excel file

Post by m_siddu2000 »

How to extract the excel file and load into oracle database using parallel edition?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D
Provided that the worksheets have a tabular form only, and with column headings, you can use the ODBC Enterprise stage via the Microsoft ODBC driver for Excel.
Otherwise you can pre-process the worksheet(s) to get them dumped into a file format, for example CSV. This limits you to sequential mode execution.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Xpert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xpert »

hi

you can use ODBC stage or Sequential file stage. If you are using sequential file, then first convert excel file to CSV format and then extract that CSV file.
With regards,
Xpert
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

If the Excel file resides on your desktop and DS reside on a server, can I use ODBC to access the file on my desktop or do I need to FTP the file to the server.

I looked at ODBC stage and when it request Source in the properties field, is this where you enter the path and filename.

Thanks
Jim Stewart
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the server is Windows ODBC should be fine with it, so long as the DSN points to the correct location.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.