Receiving warnings regarding PX Reporting Env Var in Job Seq

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Receiving warnings regarding PX Reporting Env Var in Job Seq

Post by Bill_G »

We recently went live (Aug 21) with a complete rearchitecture of our ETL environment and all jobs - from Sever 7.0 to Enterprise 7.5.1a.

All has been going well except a set of warnings that occurr intermittently in various Job Sequences. Here are the warnings:

DataStage Job 143 Phantom 2086
The variable "APT_MSG_FILELINE" is not in the environment.
The variable "APT_NO_JOBMON" is not in the environment.
The variable "APT_PERFORMANCE_DATA" is not in the environment.
The variable "APT_PM_PLAYER_MEMORY" is not in the environment.
The variable "APT_PM_PLAYER_TIMING" is not in the environment.
The variable "APT_PM_SHOWRSH" is not in the environment.
The variable "APT_PM_SHOW_PIDS" is not in the environment.
The variable "APT_RECORD_COUNTS" is not in the environment.
The variable "APT_SHOW_COMPONENT_CALLS" is not in the environment.
The variable "APT_STARTUP_STATUS" is not in the environment.
The variable "OSH_DUMP" is not in the environment.
The variable "OSH_ECHO" is not in the environment.
The variable "OSH_EXPLAIN" is not in the environment.
The variable "OSH_PRINT_SCHEMAS" is not in the environment.

Notice that they are all members of the PX reporting env variables (strange given this is a Job Sequence) - all set to false in the project properties except for the APT_PERFORMANCE_DATA which is blank.

Some other things to note:

We use a Linux Script via Control M to call a Master Controller (Server Job with JCL) that is passed the name of the Job Sequence.

In some cases these Job Sequences are called in parallel.

The job Seqences call a combination of Server and PX jobs.

The warnings have occurred on 5 different Job Sequences but not every day and not every job sequence during the same run.

B/c it causes a failure in the Master Controller - it pages our on call support at all hours of the day and night.

I am working with IBM Adv. Support on this issue, but thought I'd send it out to see if anyone has had a similar experience and solution.

Thanks in Advance.

Bill
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look at the second event in the job log to see whether they are there.

Verify (APT_PM_SHOW_PIDS) that 2086 is indeed the job sequence.

Check that these environment variables are recorded in the DSParams file in the project directory on the server.

As a workaround, set them explicitly in the dsenv script so that they are "in the environment".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

They are not listed in the environment variables section at the beginning the job log of the job sequence, but do exist in the DSPARAMS file for the project ( checked it via Admininstrator and looking directly at the file on Linux).

I just received a patch from Engineering at IBM in the form of a replacement DSD_OshRun.B file. I'll let everyone know if it works.

Thanks.