Dynamic Schema Question ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

psriva
Participant

Dynamic Schema Question ?

Post by psriva »

We have several processes written in AbInitio that we would like to port to the Grid using DataStage. The AbInitio jobs use dynamic DMLs (layouts) - the input & output layouts are generated automatically prior to the run, then the Abinitio job reads in the input/output DML (layout) files and processes the data using that format. Hence, without touching the
AbInitio code, we can process data with differing input and output layouts for each run.

Can this be done in DataStage?
ps
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Didn't you already ask this question? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
meena
Participant

Post by meena »

Yes..the post is "Migration from Abinitio to Datastage" :?

The question frame is different....but the answer is going to be the same "RCP"...
psriva
Participant

Post by psriva »

Dear Friends,

The question is different and so is the post. The earlier question was about mapping to be done automatically and this question is about dynamic generation of layouts.
I have tried experimenting with a friend of mine and have found an answer to this.
When layouts are dynamically generated, we go to the input or the output stage and click on the options and select a schema file parameter (from the options) and provide a value for it ( which is the schema file location).
When we do this we dont have to load the columns within the columns tab and we dont have to do anything within the format tab. The columns are loaded dynamically and are propagated(as we specify the RCP).
ps
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you given any thought to lineage analysis in all of this? That is, when an end user asks "where did this come from?" will you be able to supply an answer if all the schemas are being created dynamically? It is for this reason I try to avoid RCP.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jking123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jking123 »

RCP in datastage is very limited. What you are asking you will have to be done with transformers and/or modify stages or with custom operators using osh but even then it may not be the same and you may end up with a custom job per source-target. In DS it is easier to hardcode than do highly parameterized jobs. I have tried replicating that functionality and if you find a good easy to maintain solution let me know.

Ab Initio has a great way of doing lineage accross dynamic metadata and esp with parameterized jobs where column names are only defined at run time. Currently DS can't even do lineage when using schema files and RCP. The metadata capablities are severley limited.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

The dynamic metadata functionalities of Ab Initio jobs are far superior to DataStage. I'd recommend sticking with Ab Initio.

The only advantages of migrating to DataStage would be to get a more colorful canvas, reduced licensing cost, and to make use of the dsxchange forum :lol: .

- Greg
jking123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jking123 »

The two migrations I have seen are reduced licensing cost. For the most simplest of AB Inito jobs the migration can be done cost effectively. For anything which use things like dynamic metadata, conditional
components, scans, continuous, xmls etc etc the migration cost is high, but depends on the number of things to convert.

It is MUCH easer to migrate to Ab Initio from Datastage as it has many more features. Licensing costs and cost of resources are high though.
miwinter
Participant

Post by miwinter »

... and the Ab Initio "GUI" is an utter disgrace....

:lol:

/rant
Mark Winter
<i>Nothing appeases a troubled mind more than <b>good</b> music</i>