Aggreator Stage - to find max values of a timestamp field

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sreelalpp
Participant

Aggreator Stage - to find max values of a timestamp field

Post by sreelalpp »

Please tell me, how to use Aggregator stage to find the maximum value in a time stamp filed.

When I tried using that field for calculation ( max value), it was throwing an error that 'Invalid conversion from timestamp to dfloat'

Is it wheather Aggregator stage does not support calculation( Eg. Max value) on fileds which are Timestamp datatype?
lal
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Explicitly convert your timestamp into a numeric format using SecondsSinceFromTimestamp and some starting timestamp and then use the aggregator to get the maximum. You can then reconvert this back to a timestamp format after the aggregation.
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rwierdsm »

This is a little surreal; I just now needed to do the same thing, and got the same error.

Thanks, Arnd, for your idea.

I had only a date, not a date time, so I converted to an integer using:

Code: Select all

DaysSinceFromDate("1900-01-01",From_DB.SNAP_DT) 
and went back again using:

Code: Select all

DateFromDaysSince(To_DB.SNAP_DT,"1900-01-01") 
Of course, now I have a bunch of other errors to contend with, but this one has gone away :)

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rwierdsm »

I'm starting to come to the realization that I cannot perform any aggregations on non-numeric columns in the aggregator stage :!:

Is this true :?:

I'm trying to do a vertical pivot. Many of my columns are numeric and I can get the surviving value by doing a Max, however, aggregator is choking on all the character columns that I apply a Max to.

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

I made Ascential give me a patch for this garbage. Get the patch and you can specify preserve_type as true and change the output datatype as necessary for the output. The patch allows you to get MAX and MIN of character, date, timestamp columns.

Ecase is 61040.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Odd that you would have to get a patch to enable something like that. Seems like pretty basic funtionality to me... :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

Because I had it fixed about 1 year ago I would not be surprised if it has been added as basic functionality to 7.5.2.